12. New DADA Teachers

Classes had finally started again. Lyra was now making an effort in her classes. Neither Ron, nor Hermione, had really noticed. They hadn't really spoken in the days they'd been at Hogwarts. Hermione was doing all her work or was in the library. Ron was too busy staring at Viktor every time he walks past.

It meant that she'd been able to catch up with Draco, Theo, Blaise, Daphne, and Pansy. They were really nice to talk to, and not at all how she'd been led to believe. Even Crabbe and Goyle were good to talk too. They'd managed to do this all in secret so Dumbledore wouldn't catch on.

The class Lyra was looking forward to most was DADA. She wanted to see what Moody was like. Sirius had given her a codeword. The real Moody would know the counter phrase. She was hoping it was him. But if not... She'd have to find a way to gain this man's trust.

Gryffindors and Slytherins had DADA together. First class of the day. Everyone was nervous. Nobody knew what Mad-Eye Moody would be like as a teacher.

He limped in, his cane banging heavily on the floors.

"Alastor Moody" he growled, writing his name on the blackboard. "Ministry malcontent. And your new defence against the dark arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me, end of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?" He paused momentarily before carrying on, not wanting any questions. "When it comes to the dark arts, I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?"

Everyone paled slightly. Lyra tilted her head curious. Where was he going with this?

"Three, sir" Hermione said, not putting her hand up and just blurting out the answer as per usual.

"And they are so named?" Moody questioned her.

"Because they are unforgivable. Use of any one of them will..." Hermione started.

"Will earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban. Correct. Now the ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different! You need to know what you're up against, you need to be prepared, you need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum other than the underside of your desk Mr Finnigan!" He'd growled, still staring at the blackboard.

Lyra then knew his mechanical eye could see through objects and out the back of his head. Interesting.

Seamus scoffed. "There's no way the old codger can see out the back of his head"

Mad-Eye turns and throws the piece of chalk at his head. Lyra had to stifle a giggle. She saw the Slytherins were doing the same. Especially Draco.

"So, which curse shall we see first? Weasley!"

Ron jumped and gulped slightly. "Yes?"

"Give us a curse"

"Well, my dad did tell me about one... The Imperious Curse"