17. Crouch Junior

Mad-Eye takes Lyra to his office. She looks around and sees many instruments she doesn't recognise. They look to be old or broken. Lyra wonders if they have a purpose or are there for show. A heavy thud comes from behind her.

Moody has taken of the prosthetic leg and placed it on his desk. He sighs deeply and rubs his leg in relief. Lyra barely bit back her smirk. It must be tough going from a younger man in full health and body into the ex-auror. She sees a mirror behind him. It's rather odd though.

"That's a Foe Glass. Let's me keep an eye on my enemies. If I can see the whites of their eyes, they're standing right behind me!" As if on cue, the trunk on the floor next to his desk rattles and makes a rather odd noise. "Wouldn't even bother telling you what's in there. You wouldn't believe it if I did. Now... What are you going to do about your dragon?"

Lyra looked at him carefully. Did he truly want to help or was this part of his plan?

"I have a few things in mind. But I have a question if you don't mind?" She asked rather sweetly, preparing to catch him off guard.

"Suppose so Miss Potter" he replied gruffly but warily. What did she want?

Lyra leant back in her chair and crossed her right leg over her left. "Is the real Moody in the trunk? Or does it groan normally?"

Moody froze. How had she found out? Even Dumbledore hadn't guessed, or he didn't think he had. Why was she smiling at him now?

"Oh, relax Barty. I won't tell. Nor will I harm you. Ironically, you're one of two competent DADA teachers we've had. One werewolf, one imposter. No matter. I just want a few questions answered"

"How? Answer me that"

"Sirius Black. He trained under the real Moody. Apparently, he was rather paranoid even back then. He had a codeword for all his aurors. You didn't respond to his. Also, I have access to a map which tracks everyone in the castle. You can even see people that are polyjuiced or invisible. Or even in an Animagus form. Now, do you stay here constantly, or do you go meet the Dark Lord?"

"Why should I answer any of your questions at all?"

"Because I can offer you a deal. I take it this whole tournament malarky is to get me close to him. You are the one who put my name in the Goblet of Fire, right?"

Moody nods ever so slightly.

"I can help. So please answer the questions so I can explain it all. Do you go meet him?"

"Yes. Once a month"

"Good. Will he rise by the end of this year?"

"Most certainly"

"Is Wormtail with him at the moment, seeing as he is a wanted fugitive after all"

"Urgh! I hate that rat. And yes. Bloody coward"