Part 2

The sun slid along the edge of one of the rising moons as Tora Vale surveyed the imperial guards. They lounged on dried carapaces, six hormone fortified pit warriors enjoying some soft duty. Guarding the shelter of a low level food worker didn't give these men the opportunity to earn any illicit credits but being in the vicinity of the notorious crime gave them a bump in prestige. A swarm of cold blooded four winged flyers circled the residence, broadcasting their feeds to the people of rank, while a steady stream of those in the servant class walked the path in front, giving the place furtive glances.

Tora Vale did not know the procedures that the security forces used in these cases. So she didn't know if she was acting appropriately as she approached the guards in the likeness of Commander Baelyn, this sector's security chief. The guards registered some surprise before standing up and spreading out in a sudden effort to do their job. The captain bowed to him. "Your lordship, how may I be of service?"

Tora Vale almost laughed. These men knew they were being watched by the elites on the broadcast bugs. Why did they jump to attention now? That was the paradox of state control. If someone is always watching it is easy to let your guard down.

"I'm here to search for a missing piece of evidence, unlock the entrance."

"Sir, I don't understand. The investigation is complete; there can be no missing evidence."

"Captain, I'm going to do you a favor. If you ask too many questions you get into trouble. Do you understand? Also, show some respect and look busy for the feeds. This is a special case and somebody might actually be interested."

"Thank you, your lordship. May I give you some candid advice?"

Tora Vale gave a slight nod.

"Your lordship, you are asking too much. I am afraid we can't comply."

Tora was at a loss. She had to see the scene of the crime. Sirena's show trial would be over tomorrow. The reasonable thing would be to back off and move on, but she needed to know how her daughter lived, needed her worst fears to be wrong. She stood her ground. "Please clarify."

"We've gotten word that you are taking an extra portion of our wages. The men are grumbling. If the imperial surveyor happened to see us lounging and made us go before the inquiry board we would be forced to tell them why."

So that was it. The labor class was fighting back. "I'll give it some thought, stand aside."

Tora Vale walked through the abode trying to imagine Sirena in this sparse one room hovel. The drone did its job well. She ran her hand over the wyre wood feeling it respond to the heat of her palm by growing cool to the touch. She dug her hand down through the moist soil to the roots, felt the small creatures crawling between her fingers composting all the inhabitants organic waste.

The sleeping nets where Sirena's guardians slept had strong mounts and firm weaving. She looked over the empty pantry. If any food had been here it got looted by the guards. She pressed the scarab stone and the surface heated evenly. Low level workers didn't always get such a luxury. The chain and the eyelet sunk deep in the floor concerned her. The chain did not go beyond the counter in the cooking area.

In the corner Tora bent down to a clean spot on the blocks of common sedimentary rock. Was this where Sirena made her bed? Is this the place the guardians let her eat their scraps? She tried to smell the choker to see if there was some faint scent of the daughter she used to cradle. She'd seen enough.

Outside the Korivian's home, she closed her eyes and visualized the young Lord of Defense. The high pressure field around her shifted. This time changing forms wasn't enough. She took another polished stone from the round drawstring pouch that hung from her neck. She put the bitter rock onto her tongue. An orange hue displaced the darkness clarifying objects that were unseen only moments before.

This part of her plan had the highest probability of failure. There were other ways that Sirena could be saved but they all involved a life on the run, a never ending game of hide and seek. This choice meant her daughter would never know her mother, but sometimes ignorance is the best protection.

From her limited surveillance she believed the large manse was patrolled by three different species of drones. The giant six legged guardians could be avoided. The small hand-sized, eight legged creepers created more of a challenge. The coin sized flyers were easily triggered and could not be slipped. Her only hope was that the form she used would be strong enough to fool their recognition modules.

She placed her hand on the entry post, the wyre wood did not release the slot that held the door firm. Visually she may look like Captain Korivian but the living wood was sensitive to exact impressions. She had to resort to less advanced techniques. Her ax blade broke the wooden bolt. The walls seeped thick mucus to heal the wound. Clicking erupted behind her. The mandibles of a powerful creeper hovered three hand breadths from her face. The hulking mass of the beast beyond the mandibles made the threat carry. Several eyes blinked rapidly measuring her form and comparing it to images in the database. Hairy fangs retracted and pulsed. The mandibles shut and the creature went back on patrol. Not getting her torso crushed by brute force was a small victory. She shut the door and crept upstairs, hoping for another.

Young Captain Korivian paced his sleeping quarters. She read all his correspondence on the networked image display in the adjoining office. Once her curiosity was satisfied she pushed open his bedroom door and turned off the light. When he stumbled toward her, she placed a sharp knife to his neck, pushed him back onto his bed and put her knee on his chest. The darkness kept him from the horrible realization that the hand holding the blade to an important artery below his chin looked awfully familiar.

"What do you want?"

"I've heard some interesting things. I've read some of your journals. These stories of how you committed yourself to Sirena, promised to bind your fates, promised to love her always, how much of that is true?"

The young man tried to pull away. "Who sent you? I won't renounce her. Kill me. I don't care. I will not deny her."

"You are a wealthy lord. Your father heads several important departments of state. How would someone like you ever get involved with a lowly girl chained to a kitchen floor?"

"She is smart. No chains can hold her. She would slip away from her home at night and walk through our gardens."

"That's not love; that is a security breach."

"She wasn't hurting anything, just came to sit and look at the stars. When I approached her, she showed no shame. She said her family planted that garden. I asked my father about the former owners. He told me the daughter died in a brothel a long time ago, said I should never speak of her again. He promised to have the impostor taken to a work camp for spreading lies, but it was too late. I told him of my vow to love only her."

"Do you think your father is responsible for her imprisonment?"

"No, he would never betray me. My father knows how to bend rules but he does not break them."

"Who killed Sirena's guardians?"

The young lord closed his eyes. "She tells me she didn't do it. That is all I know."

"And you believe her?"

"With all my heart."

The blade left his neck. The knee came off his chest. "You trust too easily."