Step 10: Fall unbecomingly

Cursed be early mornings.

"May I take your luggage, Lord Clausson?" a footman of unknown appearance asked as Frey finally made it out on the doorstep of the BBT mansion. Frey had neither bothered with looking at him upon interaction, nor were his eyes awake enough to fully process anything in front of him.

"Assuming that's your job," he said coldly as his sleepy vision finally located the carriage designated to take him to West Kerilia.

He didn't care to acknowledge any reply, instead heading down to get in the carriage, happily falling into his seat and embracing the comfortable peace and quiet. Getting up early was bad enough, what with the dressing and Damien next to forcing breakfast into his mouth, so he was not about to stand out in the cold to answer a footman's questions about his own job.

He glanced down at his attire. Had he tied his cravat sloppily? It was hard to see, and he hadn't exactly been awake enough to see the mirror that clearly. Not that it mattered, he supposed. Servants wouldn't notice something like that.

Leaning his head back, he released a breath of relief as the carriage began moving. He could easily fall asleep if he wanted to, which he might as well do. It was a well earned reward for suffering that early in the morning.

Then the carriage came to a halt after only a short while, and Frey irately opened an eye to peer outside. Had they forgotten something?

The carriage door opened, and the footman entered to place another suitcase under the seat. He gave Frey an ingenuine smile before exiting again, and to Frey's horror and bafflement another person entered instead.

He stared in disbelief as Marius sat down in the seat opposite to him, looking awfully pleased with his surroundings.

"Good morning," he then said, finally facing Frey after having taken in the interior of the carriage with an 'ooh'. "You're looking nice as alw— Wait."

He had the audacity to lean forward and adjust Frey's cravat, with the result of the mortified victim of attire correction barely breathing as he did.

Frey couldn't let that slide.

"Stable boy," he said dryly as Marius leaned back again. "I fear you've misplaced yourself."

Marius wagged a finger at him.

"It's Marius."

"Regardless, I doubt you should be in here."

"But I should, actually." Marius leaned against the seat, daring to look smug. "Because I've been ordered to assist you."

Frey didn't show his inevitable shock.

"... Why?"

"While your taste in horses is impeccable, Lord Hargreaves thought it wise to send someone who knows what to look for when it concerns working horses." Marius shrugged. "Now I'm sure you have a good eye for most things regarding horses, but I'm more than happy to come along since he asked."

Frey's facial features remained unmoved, partly because he had no intention to show his feelings to Marius, and partly because the man he wanted to show his feelings to wasn't there. What was Damien's deal? Sending Marius along specifically with him couldn't be a coincidence. Like Marius said, Frey would have no problem picking out good horses regardless of their purpose, so he must have other motives behind it.

"But still, are you really supposed to be sitting there?" Frey promptly looked out the window, deciding to deal with his meddling mentor later.

"Why not?" Marius blinked. "Where else would I sit?"