Step 15: Fall on ice (pt. 1)

The ceremony was already over, why did she have to keep talking?

Frey threw a sideways glance at Lucius, who paid no attention to the noise that was Luna's relentless questioning of absolutely everything the priest had said, but rather seemed busy with a persistent headache.

Which of course could also be attributed to his daughter's endless chattering.

Noah sat next to his sister, looking like he wanted to sink through the floor instead of being associated with her behaviour and even Damien seemed less than pleased with the scene.

People had awkwardly begun moving away from their seats despite the priest not having wrapped things up just yet, knowing that whenever young Lady Hargreaves was involved there was a chance they'd be there for some time.

"Luna." Frey leaned over Noah to get her attention. To his fortune, he often managed to use Luna's soft spot for him to at least consider his opinions compared to many others. "The service is over. It's time we leave."

Luna's eyes flashed with only a hint of annoyance at being interrupted, but she threw a glance between Frey and the priest, and then sighed.

"Fine."

Then she sat down with a frown and the priest released a breath before wishing the already retreating crowd a bright holiday.

As soon as they exited the sanctuary Lucius drew a deep breath as though the idea of breathing had escaped him while inside, then he turned to Frey.

"So? How was it?"

"Confusing most of the time." Frey's lip curled, and he looked down at the sleeves of his rhenelis. He'd been required to get one, and since he wasn't sure about worshipping either Archon he'd gone with the colour that suited him best. It had turned out to be the green garments representing Phion, the Archon of purity. "And why do they have to do most of it in old Traquian?"

"Because people already question the texts enough, I'd say." Lucius gave his daughter a disapproving glance. "Out loud that is."

"I'm gonna learn old Traquian so they won't keep getting away with it," Luna boasted, swinging her arms as she walked and Lucius immediately shook his head.

"You will not. At least I won't pay for it."

"Vincent knows old Traquian." Luna gestured back at her bodyguard with a smug grin. His eyebrows were furrowed but he said nothing. "He'll teach me."

"You will not teach her anything of the sort," Lucius turned to look back at the man as well. "Or we'll never get to leave that sanctuary again."

Frey stopped listening. It would be idiotic to mention that he knew some old Traquian as well. It was just more unnecessary talk, and he had no interest in their usual family arguments. In all honesty, he was having a hard time finding interest in anything. Despite his efforts to get more involved in his father's faith he really could do without the holidays.

"Still tired?" Damien asked as he joined Frey's side. "Or was the service just that boring?"

"Getting up so early in the morning just to listen to someone talk about things I only barely understand is not how I want to celebrate an Archon of enlightenment. Couldn't I just read a book or something?"

"You said you wanted to take part in the usual traditions, and I told you to go to bed early."

"I thought I could stay up all night instead."

Damien clicked his tongue and Frey had a strong feeling he was shaking his head, but he didn't look.

"That seems like something Luna would do, and she's seventeen."