Chapter 4

Sir Eurwyn Smyth stood at the door of his small home, puffing on his long pipe. Even though Eurwyn owned most of the land surrounding Seepoort, the old soldier had no interest in the power that the other lords so desperately craved. He was born a commoner and had earned his land and titles with some luck and by the skill of his sword. He would not entertain the notion of living a pampered life on the backs of his people. His hand rested on the hilt of his sword as he peered into the darkness, waiting for the signal from the guard on the watchtower. He had promised the guard that he would relieve him at midnight, as the guard had a bad bout of flu.

His eyes searched for the guard on the tower, but the signal didn't come. Eurwyn knew the guard well. He was a good man, punctual and considerate. He was not the type who would fall asleep at his post or lose track of time. Time had taught Eurwyn many lessons, and the old knight could feel that evil was afoot this night. He made his way to the room where his daughter lay with her young child. His son-in-law Richard had died soon after the birth of his grandson while protecting the village from a group of raiders. He had been a good man, and Eurwyn would have appreciated his sword tonight. Eurwyn gently shook Medwenna awake, making the sign over his mouth for her to be quiet.

"Get some warm things together quickly. We must make our way to the forest now," Eurwyn whispered.

"Father, what is it? Have the raiders returned?" She asked as she pulled her thick coat over her body.

"No, something worse than the Raiders is out tonight. Now hurry," Eurwyn said.

Medwenna asked no more questions as she readied herself for the possibility of a long and arduous journey with her child. She knew her father well enough to know that he would not wake her at midnight if he did not believe there was a real danger. She quickly fastened her sword to her back and her dagger to her ankle before putting on her thick fur coat. Her father had ordered these for her from the blacksmith when she was a young girl. Her mother understood her father's displeasure in never siring a son, so she allowed the knight to train her to his heart's content with the sword if he allowed the girl to learn the skills that a good woman and lady required as well.

The two of them made their way to the back of their simple wooden home, where their horse was tied. Hammer had been one of the greatest war-horses of his day, worth more than everything else Eurwyn owned, a gift from King Dolan himself. Now, like Eurwyn, the years had taken their toll on the horse, and he had lost most of his fervor, but Eurwyn knew there was one last battle left in him and his horse.

The screams of the villagers filled the air as the orcs' attacks began.

The orcs mercilessly slaughtered anyone in their path, showing no interest in taking prisoners or slaves. Tonight, it was only about spilling as much human blood as possible. The horse and its riders would have gone unnoticed if not for a lightning bolt illuminating the sky and the scream of a child. One of orc scouts quickly blew his horn, alerting his riders at the forest edge of Eurwyn's presence.

"They've spotted us. I'll take you to the escape path we cut in the forest. Once we get there, you must make your way to the canoe and warn Deidrick of Menhelm of the danger," Eurwyn commanded in a stern voice as they rode through the rain.

"Father, I can't leave you," Medwenna cried.

"Think of your child, my daughter! He is all that matters now. I'll hold them off for as long as I can. Now be off!" Eurwyn roared as they reached the entrance to the path they had made. The sound of the orc riders' horns bellowed loudly.

"Father!" Medwenna cried once more, but he had turned around, the howling wind drowning out her screams. Eurwyn drew his mighty sword, the Deathbringer. His blacksmith father had made it personally for him when he was a young man. It was the only gift he had ever received from his father and his most prized possession. It had silenced many of his foes over the years, and tonight, it was ready to face these monsters. His shield bore the Smyth family crest, the giant anchor with the smaller hammer and sword. The weight of the shield brought him some discomfort, and he wondered when it had become so heavy. Hammer seemed excited at the prospect of battle as they charged toward the sound of the horns.

Medwenna wanted to run after him, but the child in her arms reminded her of her greater duty. The rain hid her tears as she ran down the path her father and husband had toiled so many hours on - for a night like this. A night when all that was left was her and the boy, as Seepoort was consumed by flames.

Eurwyn's blade sliced through the first rider, splitting him in half, before clashing against the shield of another. Hammer kicked through the jaw of one of the wolves, crushing its skull in the process. They killed the first three opponents with ease, catching them unprepared for the ferocity of their attack. Neither horse nor man showed their age, experience counting in their favor as they relived the power of their youth.

An arrow burst through Eurwyn's armor and lodged itself in his left shoulder blade, causing him to lose his grip on his shield. Furious, Deathbringer bashed against another shield, but his left arm was now too slow to block the orc's blade, and he dropped his shield. A loud thud reverberated as it hit the ground. This did not deter the old knight, who quickly drove a spear into the face of his next opponent.

Hammer neighed loudly as teeth and claws tore into his hind legs, the weight of the hyaenodons forcing him to stagger momentarily before both legs kicked back, sending the dead hyaenodon and its rider falling onto his back. The rider got up quickly before grabbing a spear and driving it into the side of Hammer's abdomen.

Eurwyn felt the power leave his horse's legs and prepared to take the battle to the ground. His sword clashed against his opponent's shield, his armor taking heavy blows. But he also found success with his spear, striking an orc in its chest. Despite this small victory, another arrow found its way into his side before he fell to the ground.

This was not how Eurwyn recalled battle. His eyes met those of his horse dying on the field next to him as the orc's ax split his armor. His sword clashed against his opponent's shield, his armor taking heavy blows. But he also found success with his spear, striking an orc in its chest. Despite this small victory, another arrow found its way into his side.

This was not how Eurwyn remembered battles. As he looked at his dying horse, he felt the weight of the orc's ax as it sliced into his abdomen. He attempted to block the next strike, but his sword slipped from his grasp, and he collapsed to the ground. He and Hammer shared their final moments together as the orcs mercilessly drove their spears into their bodies.

One of the orc captains picked up the Deathbringer and smirked as he raised it high. However, Eurwyn felt no pain as he watched a bolt of lightning strike the orc, setting him ablaze. He had paid a high price to ensure that the sword could never be used against his bloodline.

The orcs fled, leaving only the two companions behind, and darkness finally overtook them as they lay still on the battlefield.