Chapter 12

The two men had almost made it back to their horses when an arrow lodged itself in the captain's back. He instinctively grasped at Dunmore for support and the two men slipped and tumbled down a slope as the arrows flew past the place, they had been a moment before. Dunmore hit his head against a rock and blood spluttered as he continued tumbling. His left shoulder took a heavy hit as he came to a standstill against a young oak tree. His ears were ringing, and it took a moment for his sight to clear as the pain from his broken collarbone helped to focus his senses. To his right, the captain looked worse for wear as he too used a tree to prop himself up. The arrow shaft had been broken from the tumble and only a small stump was visibly protruding from the captain's upper back. He battled to breathe as he turned to Dunmore. Blood ran over Dunmore's face from the wound, burning his eyes. They didn't have much time before the Orc patrol would find them. Dunmore heaved himself up and drew his sword from its scabbard. Out of the two men, he was the ablest to put up some form of defense.

'Sir, I think we should leave now.' A familiar voice said behind him, startling Dunmore. It was his squire Aldridge on horseback with their horses in tow. Aldridge, by Dunmore's own standards, was incompetent in battle, partial to daydreams and barely able to complete tasks efficiently due to his slothful nature. Dunmore had hoped to find a more suitable master for the boy as soon as possible. Obviously careful not to insult Lord Barrington in the process. However, now he was pleasantly surprised with the boy's foresight.

'Hurry boy! Help me and the captain onto our horses. The orcs shall be on us any moment now.' Dunmore ordered in one breath, sheathing his sword, and grabbing the reign of the captain's horse with his good hand.

'Sir Hardwin and twenty riders are above.' Aldridge told Dunmore as he helped the captain onto his horse.

'Those orcs are about to meet Hildreth.' Dunmore chuckled in pain as they rode their horses hard.

Hardwin smiled as he saw the Orcish patrol ahead. They were evenly matched in terms of swords and archers, but Hardwin's men had the advantage of all being on horseback. There were only half as many riders amongst the orcs. The difference being that hyaenodons were deadlier than any horse. Hardwin realized they needed to be taken out of action quickly. Hardwin grasped his spear tightly and took careful aim as he singled out the leader of the orcs. Hardwin rode his horse hard toward the roaring hyaenodon and released his spear with a precision that had been practiced on many hunts. The spear pierced the beast's eye, but the orc Captain had timed his jump well. Gru the Ironhand's war ax tore into Hardwin's shield before both crashed to the ground below from the horse's back. Hardwin's men quickly followed suit trying to take the hyaenodons out of the battle as soon as possible with mixed success. The forest floor had become soaked in blood as the combatants of both armies did their utmost to destroy each other. Orcs and men roared in anger and screamed in pain as metal parted flesh and crushed bone. Hooves met claws and canines while hooves crushed hyaenodon skulls, as the beasts fought for survival in a battle, not of their making.

Hardwin and Gru had rolled away from each other after the fall. Their focus unfettered by the slaughter around them. This is what they both lived for. The smell of blood and the screams of their enemies before death released them. They were warmongers both. Hardwin threw his damaged shield with such force it split open the skull of a goblin who dared to think he could move in his direction. The little beast's body convulsed in spasm as its body tried to speak once more to the brain that was functioning only a moment ago. Gru smiled at the prospect of finally meeting a combatant that was worthy of his ax. Hildreth sang beautifully before meeting Gru's ax mid-air as Hardwin blocked Gru's assault with a smile. Hardwin returned the favor and swung his blade with enough force to cut Gru's torso in half, only to have the blow masterfully parried with the shoulder of Gru's ax. The two warriors stepped back from each other, measuring each other momentarily before a flurry of blows by each of them rattled the battlefield. Smoke filled the sky in the direction of Seepoort as the battle ensued, neither combatant giving the other respite. The fighting was at its fiercest when a horn sounded, and the orcs suddenly fled. Hardwin barely avoided being decapitated by an Orc Rider from behind, the breathing of the hyaenodon alerting him and forcing him to roll to the side before the rider pulled his leader up and Gru grinned at Hardwin as they rode off. Hardwin heaved himself up as his men gave chase. Hardwin signaled for them to return. He was not going to lose men on a fool's errand. They had retrieved Dunmore and the Captain; the two men would give their report to Deidrick, and they would plan how to take Seepoort back. The army would arrive by dawn, but the smoke from Seepoort's direction told Hardwin that there was not much left to fight for.

Embers still glowed red in some of Seepoort's charred remains. Miraculously some of the villagers had escaped and survived by hiding in the forest. The prisoners in the square were not so fortunate and had been butchered along with all the shipbuilders. Seepoort had lost a generation of essential skills. It was likely that it would never recover. Deidrick met with the survivors and spoke to them directly learning what he could from them. They told him that the orcs had focused most of their time on building ships and left once the ships were complete. Eight of the ships were from an order Deidrick himself had placed for 10 ships. The navy would have collected them in a weeks' time. Deidrick was not pleased with the news. The orcs had 15 ships with which they could attack anywhere in Menhelm at a moment's notice. This would make the war increasingly difficult. This Horde leader was a very worthy opponent and strategist Deidrick reminded himself. Hardwin discovered Eurwyn's remains in the field unhindered. He had recognized the body from the insignia on the breastplate. The vultures had made a work of the old knight and his horse. The smell turned Hardwin's stomach. A worse sight though was the charred body of the Orc still holding the Deathbringer. Hardwin knew the legend surrounding the sword and its curse. The sword belonged to Medwenna now he thought, as he pried it from the orc's grip. He carefully wrapped it in cloth and ordered his men to bury the remains of the old knight.