Chapter 13

The infantry marched slowly, but the anticipation of battle spurred the 500 men forward. Lord Barrington and Sir Colby rode ahead, with Sean just behind them. The slow trot frustrated Sean, who found it difficult to contain his excitement for the opportunity to test his mettle against the Orcs. Asa boy his father had enthralled him with his exploits in the previous waragainst the Orcs and now Sean eagerly wanted to prove himself against mankind'sgreatest foe. He wondered how his brother was faring as Dunmore's squire. Aldridge was drawn to the ways of the Myerschoughs, and in Sean's opinion, he was not built for the ravages of battle. His brother's thirst for knowledge had always intrigued Sean. Not that Sean was an imbecile himself—his mother had done her utmost to instill as much knowledge as she could, and he had learned a few things from her—but admittedly, he was his father's son through and through.

Sean was the first to notice smoke in the distance and quickly surmised that it was Seepoort according to the map. Lord Barrington and Colby quickly spurred the men to a quick march, while Sean and a few of the other riders started galloping toward the direction of the forest ahead, only to be stopped by a group of Rangers that had been sent by Deiderick. Seepoort had been laid to waste. They agreed to follow the men to their camp for orders.

Colby and Barrington ordered Sean to institute regular patrols on the borders of Undarligvϙllr and Vǫlva while they met with the King in his tent. They learned of what had transpired at Seepoort and the attack on Dunmore and the captain of the Rangers. In retaliation for their captain, the Rangers had pursued the orcs until the borders of the Darklands, to no avail. There was little more they could do, even with Battenport's ships patrolling the great river.

"I need you to meet with Waldomar and Rhone," Deiderick told Barrington and Colby in confidence when they were alone.

"Surely you don't believe that the Orcs are planning to stage a full invasion of our lands?" Colby replied, as Barrington focused his gaze on the King.

"I believe that our earlier assumption that they would try to take Denver was correct. They are planning a full-scale invasion of our lands, and I have reason to believe that they have spies among us."

"It is about time that we finished them off once and for all," Barrington said, nodding.

"But we have not met with Waldomar or Rhone in years. There are rumors that the two are waging a war with each other," Colby added.

"If we do not unite, we will be destroyed completely," Deiderick said bluntly.

Euvaristus avoided the village while the remains of the dead were being buried. He had always avoided the sight of the dead. At more than a thousand years of age, he had seen his fair share of corpses. Instead, he chose to focus on collecting the herbs necessary to treat the wounded, including his reckless son. Fortunately, Axis had brought news early enough for them to send Hardwin and his group of riders to rescue the two men. They were now among the other injured at the camp. The soldiers had done what they could for the men, but Euvaristus knew that they would die from the poison in their wounds unless properly treated. They would need the juice of garlic and a poultice of burdock or dead-nettle, he concluded.
Dunmore sat silently, watching the Captain wheezing on his bedroll in Deidrick's tent. The arrow had penetrated deep, and the Rangers knew their leader's time was short. Though Dunmore was in considerable pain from his own injuries, he refused to let the Captain die alone. With his left arm in a sling, he struggled to pull a blanket over himself, becoming increasingly frustrated before finally calling for Aldridge's help. Surprisingly, the boy seemed at ease in the tent, even taking an interest in the Captain's condition.

"Lord Dunmore, may I make an infusion of Cowberry for you and the Captain?" Aldridge asked after examining the two men.

"You have knowledge of herbs and their uses?" Dunmore inquired, realizing he may have underestimated the young squire.

"My mother was a healer in our village and taught me about herbs since I was a child. Cowberry is good for pain, and I have some in my pouch," Aldridge replied.

Dunmore nodded gratefully. "Thank you."

Aldridge quickly left the tent, moving faster than Dunmore had anticipated. Within an hour, he returned with two beakers of the Cowberry infusion. Aldridge helped the Captain drink some and applied a fresh poultice to his wound, while Dunmore observed the boy closely.

"I have something for you," Dunmore said, reaching into his satchel and removing an amulet on a chain. As he handed it to Aldridge, he seemed to visibly relax. Aldridge accepted the amulet hesitantly, studying it closely. It was made of silver, circular, and engraved with ancient glyphs whose origin he couldn't discern. The amber center stone reminded him of a painting of a dragon's eye he had seen in his uncle's study. Aldridge had never been interested in trinkets or jewelry, but for some reason, the amulet resonated with him in a way he couldn't explain.

"Mi'lord, I'm not sure I can accept such a valuable gift," Aldridge said, his heart struggling with conflicting emotions.

"It's mine to give to whomever I please, squire. Don't allow self-pity to stop you from accepting this gift," Dunmore replied firmly.

Aldridge nodded and hung the amulet around his neck, concealing it beneath his garment. The Cowberry infusion calmed Dunmore's mind, and he drifted off to sleep with a sense of peace he hadn't experienced in years.
Euvaristus arrived to find Aldridge keeping watch over the two sleeping men. "I gave them each a cowberry infusion and treated their wounds with garlic and dead nettle," Aldridge explained.

"I spent most of the morning looking for supplies and you had them with you all along," Euvaristus replied, sensing a strange kinship with the boy.

"My apologies, Master Euvaristus. I was not aware that you required these herbs."

"What is your name, boy?"

"I am Aldridge, son of Lord Barrington," he replied uncomfortably.

"The son of Lord Barrington?" Euvaristus was intrigued that a man like Barrington could sire a son with an interest in the healing arts.

"My uncle told me much of your exploits," Aldridge dithered.

"Your uncle? Tertius of Wallingford."

"Yes, the alchemist and scholar. We have met on occasion," Euvaristus replied, remembering Tertius' very headstrong and intelligent sister. Euvaristus concluded that Barrington was a man who enjoyed a challenge. There were several great wizards that came from Wallingford over the ages, including Euvaristus' own master.

Heat radiated from Euvaristus' sword even through its scabbard, and he decided to test the boy's skills. "Shush now, be calm. We'll know soon enough," Euvaristus spoke gently to his sword.

"Master?" Aldridge exclaimed in confusion.

"Sorry, my lad. I was just having a conversation with my sword. A discussion for another time, perhaps?" Euvaristus replied, realizing that they did not have much time left if they intended to save the Captain.

"The cowberry has eased some of their pain. Now I have very little time to remove the poisoned arrow from the Captain's chest. Can I rely on your assistance?" Euvaristus asked the boy.

"I'll be honored to assist you, Master."

Euvaristus felt uneasy after removing the arrow. The orcs routinely poisoned their arrows, and there was no guarantee that the Captain would survive. Aldridge had shown promise as an apprentice, and Euvaristus decided to ask Dunmore if he could take over the boy's tutelage. He found Dunmore sleeping in the tent where the Captain lay. As he watched his son sleeping in the chair, he felt relieved that he had not reacted as adversely to the Orc poison as the Captain had. He wondered if their relationship would have been different if he had chosen to betray his oath to his guild and share the truth surrounding Jegis with Dunmore. But his honor would not allow him to share the truth with his son. Dunmore had a good mind but had received none of the other gifts - the legacy of the Elderon of Alacord would end with Euvaristus.
The Captain's sudden movement startled Euvaristus and woke Dunmore from his sleep. The man opened his eyes and called out for his son and Aldridge quickly summoned the Captain's son into the tent. The father prepared to pass on, and the boy held his hand, promising to fulfill his final wishes - simple requests regarding his burial, care for his family, and faithful service. Then the man passed, and silence filled the tent, save for the Captain's son's tears and rage. Deidrick entered a moment later, knowing the pain of losing a father and allowing the young man the space he needed to grieve. As a King, Deidrick maintained the reserve of the crown and refrained from empty words, even as he fought the urge to weep with the young man.
On that day, Aldridge learned the finality of death and the humility it taught those in the healing arts. He had done everything his mother had taught him, and he and Euvaristus had successfully removed the arrow with little pain for the Captain, yet death had emerged victorious. It was a lesson that he would never forget. Euvaristus had discussed Aldridge with Dunmore, who had agreed to the boy to become the Wizard's apprentice. 'I am grateful for your service thus far.' Dunmore told Aldridge surprised at the conflicted feelings he had around the boy. The boy was the worse squire he had ever come across, but also possibly the most fortuitously capable person to have around when difficulty presented itself. 'I'll leave it to you to inform Lord Barrington.' Dunmore continued with what Aldridge swore was a momentary smile on his former master's face. Aldridge thanked Dunmore for the opportunity to serve him. He found it difficult to maintain his composure and hide his happiness as he went looking for his kin. His father and brother were leaving for the Western border and would likely not return for many days. He found them further ahead discussing the events of the day. At first, Aldridge was hesitant to tell his father of what had happened - his father had never supported his pursuits, but he took courage from the fact that he had discovered the path to fulfilling his destiny. Aldridge excitedly shared the story of his exploits and the news of his new appointment and Barrington staggered momentarily, as Sean's elbow landed in his ribs before he could speak his mind. Sean knew him too well. The boy had always tried to protect his younger brother from Barrington's anger and disappointment. Barrington looked at his two sons and was overcome with shame as he watched the Rangers ride ahead of their captain. The Captain's body was carefully wrapped and placed on a wagon with the other dead of the Redwood Covert. The liberation of Seepoort meant little in comparison to losing their Captain. Barington then decided to give the boy his blessing. 'The boy is what he is.' Barrington told himself as he watched an elated Aldridge ride off.
Euvaristus had persuaded Deidrick to allow them and Hardwin to ride ahead to Kent Castle to begin preparations for the inevitable attack on Denver. The three felt their spirits lift as they left the convoy. Hardwin rested Deathbringer on his lap as they rode towards Denver.
'I have failed Lady Medwenna,' Hardwin said with regret at not being able to save more of Seepoort's people.
'This was not your fault, Hardwin. Seepoort would be rebuilt and there were many days ahead for you and Hildreth to punish the orcs,' Euvaristus implored him.
'I will ask the Lady for her hand in marriage when we return.'
'It would be a sad day for many of the innkeepers of Menhelm and quite a few of the barmaids in the surrounding villages.' Euvaristus teased Hardwin. 'But I believe you would make a wonderful pair.'
Aldridge admitted it was unlikely that he would find love for many years 'I agree. You'd have to learn to use a sword properly first and how to ride like a man.' Hardwin quipped.
'I believe that you would assist him with that. Whilst I train him in the use of magic?' Euvaristus said as he winked at a beaming Aldridge.