The Making of a Plan (Part 1)

Beings of the order Dragona, also known under the common name dragon, might be the most extensively studied magical race of all

Beings of the order Dragona, also known under the common name dragon, might be the most extensively studied magical race of all. Sources dating back to over four hundred summers ago, describe there to be a symbiotic relationship between dragons and humans. The origin of this connection between the two species has only been recollected from dragon memory as no relics of these times still remain. According to the dragons, it all started within the lands currently known as Terriath. The agreeable climate caused dragons and humans to live in close proximity and gave rise to a booming leather trade. But hunting dragons was dangerous, so some humans started to steal dragon eggs in an effort to rear them as one did other livestock.

Only they found dragons to not only be sentient but to have a superior mind to other animals including humans. This led to the eventual ban of the trade of any dragon parts and the creation of the dragon orders in which dragon-riding knights would hunt down those who broke this law.

~ The History and People of Magic by Sir Rainaldus Gale

Lidea separated from Warchief at the bathing house, as she didn't trust herself to come back and wash up later in the day. Probably a wise decision, as even now the warm water helped loosen her muscles and soothe her aches, to a point that she nearly fell asleep. Not thrilled at the idea of drowning, she reluctantly left the bath. Looking longingly back at it, before dressing herself in the same dirty clothes as before. The smell of them made her scrunch her nose, but she knew that it would quickly fade as she got used to it. Trying to distract herself from the stench and her legs that protested at every step, she thought of the family house she would soon get to explore. Would her mysterious ancestor have left any belongings behind? Lidea hoped so. Her curiosity burned for this part of her lineage that she knew nothing about. If the order had left around a hundred years ago, then her mother's family had to have known about their connection to it. At least her grandfather should have been aware. She wished that he had still been alive to ask. Although, if he had, there was a high chance that he would have no longer spoken to her. He had never been keen on her father, and far too prideful to accept a family member that went against the wishes of the throne.

Stepping over the threshold of her temporary housing, she stopped at the sight of utter chaos. Pieces of armor lay strewn about as a trail leading up to one of the beds. A big sack made of brown cloth sat upon it next to a pile of clothing that had been thrown haphazardly. Following the mess further, she found the culprit sitting at the healer's desk. With his chair tipped back on its hind legs, and one foot on the desk. He was focused on the letter in his hand and hadn't even heard her coming in. She couldn't help but imagine what Crystal's reaction was going to be when she saw the state of her precious infirmary. Something told her, that it wasn't going to be as peaceful anymore with Warchief living here.

Not wanting to disturb him, she wanted to pass him silently but halted when she glimpsed the gold-speckled paper he was reading from. The stark contrast between his careless appearance and the overly ornate letter intrigued her. What kind of person had such money that they could waste it on a letter? Did he have a noble lover?