Chapter Four

Aduil tapped the image. "Lindolir."

Kate sighed.

"Yup, that's Lindolir," she said, then to clarify, added, "Erie, Lindolir."

He quirked an eyebrow at her then moved his finger over the image of Jex and tapped again.

"That's Jex. Jexalanatokendil, but he goes by Jex."

"Jex," he repeated, and she nodded. "Jex, i Tolar. Vui eleth sedar? Acnimm?"

Ooh, he was none too happy. It didn't take a linguist to figure out what that meant, and for once, Kate was glad she didn't have the words to answer. Because how could she? How do you tell someone with a medieval level understanding of technology that you've watched a movie of detailing their entire history—some of which hadn't even happened yet, judging by his reaction to the bookmark—that you watched it all play out purely for entertainment's sake, and because of that you know that one of their worst enemies is going to become their best friend? Well, his buddy's best friend, anyway. And that wasn't even getting into the whole issue of how Lindolir's photo was on the bookmark.

Which, come to think of it, was a really good question. Because what were the odds that the random actor hired to play him would turn out to be the spitting image of the real elf? Seemed pretty low.

Maybe none of this was real after all.

"Kate."

Right, Mr. confused grumpy face was still waiting for an answer.

Kate let out another sigh. "I don't know what you expect me to say, Aduil, I really don't." She shook her head. "I doubt you'd believe me anyway, even if you could understand."

And he really did seem to be trying. His eyes were fixed on her lips as she spoke, like he thought if he could just concentrate hard enough, he could make sense of the words through sheer force of will.

It didn't take him long to see it wasn't going to work, and he gave it up with a frustrated huff of his own—though his somehow came out sounding dignified, which was annoying—before retreating to the table and dropping himself into a chair. Which was also annoying, because If Kate had pulled something like that, she would have looked like she was throwing a tantrum, but he managed to make it look as proper as if he were sitting down to tea with the queen. Because that was fair. Stupid elf.

She watched him awhile as he brooded out the window until curiosity got the better of her.

"So, what now?" she asked.

He blinked at her a few times, as if he'd completely forgotten she was there.

"In... dau uvernia te," he murmured distractedly, his gaze drifting to the bookmark in his hand even as he spoke.

Well, that was helpful.

He seemed to have snapped out of his funk, though, so that was something.

He glanced at Kate, then back to the bookmark for another brief examination before he nodded and stood. He strode to a door at the front of the room, then stopped abruptly a few steps short and turned to Kate, as if in afterthought.

"Annonte," he said, bowing his head. "In raim guil. Faemaedh." And with that, he was gone.

"Okay, see you later then. Guess we're done with the language lessons for today."

But the question still stood; what now? There wasn't a whole lot to do in the room, especially once she'd raided the wardrobe and—score! —found her clothes folded neatly at the bottom, nestled among a few pairs of dark colored leggings. Well, her jeans were there, anyway. Her t-shirt had been hung up alongside a few tunics in varying colors and a couple of sheer, long-sleeved blouses in shades which would compliment the tunics. Undershirts, maybe? There was a cloak there too, black and thick and impossibly soft, and she wondered briefly if she had taken someone's bedroom, but as she hadn't had a choice in the matter, she decided not to worry about it.