Chapter Twelve

The days seemed to flow as a swiftly coursing river while Aduil studied the journal with Kate by his side, yet the nights were another matter entirely. Every moment crawled past, and he could not seem to recall how he had filled them in the days before Kate's arrival, for nothing could hold his attention long before his mind inevitably found its way back to her. It was troubling, to say the least, for after speaking with her upon the balcony, he could no longer lay the blame on fear for Lindolir, nor even concern for his people.

More troubling still, this strange malady had begun to seep into the daylight hours, even as she sat next to him, aiding him in reading from the journal. His eyes would stray unbidden from the page to watch the charming way her mouth quirked up ever so slightly on one side when she made light of something the author had done, or the way her face lit when she laughed at one of the rare witticisms he had written. Or even just to watch the way her lips moved as she read aloud. The language was difficult to grasp as it was, and so much more so when he found it continually needful to remind himself to focus upon the words themselves and not the one reading them.

It grew easier once Aduil's studies had progressed enough that they could take it in turns to read aloud from the journal and he could hold the book before his face and block her from his view. For the most part, in any case.

The sun had long since gone to seek its rest and Kate, though yawning, had refused to do the same when Aduil had suggested it, insisting that they could not stop now as it was only just becoming interesting. He could not deny, it was intriguing—the author had just joined with an elf called Elriel and a pair of Creesa rangers to quest for an ancient relic—and so he had taken the journal in hand and begun to read as Kate settled herself, folding her arms upon the table to rest her head. She listened quietly, only drowsily piping up every now and then to make a correction or answer a question.

"I have never seen anything like it, it is hard to... Hmm. I do not know this word. Des...des-cri-be. What does this mean?" he asked, but was met with only silence.

"Kate?" When she still did not answer, he lowered the book, just as a soft snore broke the stillness, and he could not help the fond smile that tugged at his lips. She looked so restful there, so lovely, awash in the glow of the starstone lamps as she slumbered. He quietly closed the journal, replaced it with his sketchbook and opened it up to a fresh page.

This was how Lindolir found him some time later, as he burst through the doors with a loud and cheery, "There you are! I have been searching all over!"

"Shush!" Aduil hissed.

"I have been gone a fortnight and more, facing perils untold, and this is how I am welcomed home?" Lindolir held a hand to his chest, stumbling back as if struck. "I am hurt, brother, truly I am!"

Aduil rolled his eyes. "You have been escorting caravans through the forest. The perils are hardly untold, nor so perilous, for that matter," he murmured, closing his sketchbook and laying it next to the journal as he rose. "Come, she sleeps." He nodded toward the far side of the room before moving away.

Lindolir took a long, curious look at Kate as he followed. "Such a strange creature. I only seem to see it sleep. Is it ill?"

"No, she sleeps each night. It is natural for her kind, I believe."

"And what is her kind, have you learned?" Lindolir asked as they settled on either side of a small table.

"Not that, no, but I have discovered how she knew of you."

Lindolir leaned forward. "Truly?"

Aduil hesitated before he nodded. It was Lindolir's right to know of course, but oh, he would be insufferable when he did.