Chapter 3

Bennett feels uncomfortable and he rarely feels like this. Most people in this school would bend over backward to talk to him but not Arden.

He has a few classes with her but her hostility toward him makes it very clear he should stay away. She hates him and he hates himself too.

In the afternoon he buries himself in work at his father's firm. His father, George has asked him to go through the accounts, but something isn't adding up.

"Is that Bennett," he hears a friendly voice say as his father and Harrison Aster walk into the room. Harrison is a kind man and he has many similar features to Arden with his bright blue eyes and chocolate brown hair that is starting to get some sprinkles of grey hairs. He smiles brightly at Bennett. "I haven't seen you in ages," he says pulling Bennett into a hug.

"We were about to head to a business event to try secure more clients. Are you keen to come," his Dad asks raising one eyebrow.

"That's all good, I've got an assignment I need to finish off," Bennett says as begins to pack up his things.

"Don't be a stranger, Bennett," Harrison says to him with a smile. "Your family will have to come over to ours for dinner."

Bennett slowly nods his head but the thought makes him feel sick. He can only imagine the sort of guilt he would feel sitting across from Arden as she death stares at him. But he knows it's inevitable, their families have been friends for years and that isn't going to change anytime soon.

The next day when he is sitting at lunch, he decides he should try to talk to Arden again. It's better to clear the air now than at a forced family dinner.

He stands up suddenly and makes his way over to her table where she is sitting with her new friends. All the students in the cafeteria are watching as he approaches, desperate for a dramatic showdown.

As he gets closer Arden looks up at him surprised. She really can't deal with him right now so she asks Chris to stop Bennett on his path.

Chris blocks Bennett from reaching Arden. "She doesn't want to talk to you," Chris says crossing his arms in an attempt to intimidate the muscly football captain.

"Who the fuck are you," Bennett asks and goes to move around him.

"I'm her friend and I'm telling you to back away. Leave her alone," Chris reiterates strongly.

"She has to face me eventually. Our fathers are in business together." Bennett insists but nevertheless, he turns away with one last glance towards Arden, who is staring him down.

Arden breathes a sigh of relief when he finally backs away. Everyone in the cafeteria is staring at her, desperate to read into the signs of any slight drama.

Chris returns to the table and Arden is grateful he backed her up. It probably wasn't easy for him to face off against the most popular guy in school.

"Thank you," she says to Chris giving his hand a squeeze with a small smile.

"He said your father's work together," he asks, and Arden nods her head while taking a bite of food. "You'll have to face him eventually."

"I know that," Arden swallows nervously. "But I want to avoid it if I can. Sadly, I'll have to be civil toward him in front of our parents. I don't want my Dad to be fired over my actions."

Arden turns back to go eat her food when she is suddenly faced with two green eyes. She almost chokes on her food at the surprise. "Look, we all need you to forgive Bennett," Mr. VP of Popular, Emerson says as he goes to take a seat across from her at the table. "He has been shitty with the rest of us and I'm guessing it's because you won't talk to him."

Arden narrows her eyes at Emerson, she is just as equally frustrated with him as she is with Bennett. "I don't want anything to do with anyone in your group," she says averting her gaze from him over to Paige who is looking increasingly uncomfortable.

Paige does not understand why Arden is starting all of this drama with the populars. She is scared they will crucify her by association.

Emerson smirks at Arden in a challenge. "Yes, you do. Like it or not, you miss the power," he says as he stands up. "I know you will come around eventually so you may as well stop making the rest of us suffer."

He is about to leave when he catches Paige staring at him. "Emerson," he says with a wink as he holds his hand out confidently to shake hers.

Paige blushes, she is caught off guard. She can't believe he is talking to her. "Paige," she responds softly while blushing and shakes his hand.

Arden rolls her eyes and Emerson gives her one last smirk before he makes his departure back over to the cafeteria's center table. "Don't go there," Arden warns Paige, who is still gazing off towards Emerson with a look of awe in her eyes. "He's a player."

Paige is slightly frustrated with Arden that she wasn't more welcoming towards Emerson. "Why are you so rude to them," she asks defensively. "Sure, I've heard Bennett and Emerson can be assholes, but I've only ever seen them be nice to you."

Arden is frustrated that Paige is even asking. "You have no idea what they did to me," she says looking over toward Chris who is looking increasingly uncomfortable.

"Then tell me," Paige insists.

Arden takes a deep breath before she gets into what happened. "Before my accident, I was close with all of them, Joanna, Bennett, Emerson, and even some of their minions," Arden explains while clenching her fists. It is hard to go into detail about a moment that caused so much pain for her. "But after my accident, none of them were there for me. Can you imagine how hard that is? You go disabled and your friends abandon you."

Paige swallows her pity. She feels terrible for Arden, but she doesn't know what to say. She just reaches across the table and squeezes her hand in comfort instead.

It's only a couple of days later when Arden comes home from school and her stepmom is stressing out getting ready. "Oh good Arden you're home," she says as she pops her earring in. "I've laid out a pretty dress for you. We are going over to the Robinson's for dinner. Your Dad will head straight there with George once they finish work."

"Great," Arden says unenthusiastically as she goes to get ready.

Rose stops her, grabbing a hold of her arm. "I know you don't like Bennett right now," she sighs in a low voice. "But for your father's sake please at least be polite to him. Your Dad is going to ask for a raise soon and we need to be in their family's good books."

Arden slowly nods her head before she steers herself off down the hall to get ready. It's going to be a long night.

Bennett is continuing to look through the accounts at his dad's office. He has been sifting through files every day after school for the past week now. He finally spots the discrepancy in the accounts, and he feels sick. Over a million dollars is missing and it all links to Harrison Aster.

"Is everything ok," his father asks concerned as he walks into the room.

Bennett swallows a nervous breath. "Yes, fine," he says hiding the papers under a folder. "Ok well pack up, we've got dinner with the Asters."

Bennett doesn't know what to do. He knows he needs to think fast. He grabs all of the account paperwork and puts it into his bag.

He walks out of the office and jumps into his Dad's car where Harrison Aster is already sitting in the front seat. He is torn about what to do. On the one hand, he could tell his father but that would ruin the Aster family. The other option is to keep it a secret but his dad's business will be out a million dollars.

To make matters worse, he now has to face Arden who probably has no idea about any of this. As they arrive home, Bennett spots the new Aster family car in the driveway. He knows Arden will be inside his home. He takes a few deep breaths to try and regulate his breathing before walking inside the house.