An Outing with Garreth

Sebastian wasn't the same for a few days after the ordeal in Feldcroft. We had discovered some intriguing information to do with the keepers at an old house belonging to one of them. Yet, it only lead to more questions than answers. Ranrok was digging there, and we had no idea why. Somehow, Anne found herself in the middle of it, getting cursed in the process. Finding out this information only made Sebastian more determined to discover the truth behind it all. After we found the tryptic in the Undercroft, he became more focused than ever. In turn, Ominis and I only became more worried.

———————

"Still focused on the tryptic?" I asked one afternoon in the library.
"I've seen it before, I just can't remember where," he said.
"Sebastian, why don't you take a break? All that thinking will give you a headache," I said.
He smiled, "I can't."
"But...." I began.

"Aura! Just the fifth year I've been looking for," a voice from behind me said.
I turned. "Oh Garreth, how are you?"
"Fantastic. Hey, do you want to come get dinner with me? I never thanked you for snagging that ingredient from HoneyDukes."
"Oh I'd love to!" I said enthusiastically.
"Are you ready to head over to the Flying Broomsticks now?" He asked.
I nodded, and turned to Sebastian.
He sat there arms crossed, watching me.
"You know, I think I could use a break after all," he said.
I turned to Garreth, "can Sebastian come too?"
"I guess," he shrugged.
I felt a little guilty, because I had the feeling Garreth didn't want it to be the three of us. However, after how Sebastian had been for the past few days, I was just happy he wanted to do something other than research.

The three of us went to the Three Broomsticks. It was a Friday night so place was crowded.
"I don't get what you want here that we couldn't get at Hogwarts," Sebastian said.
I kicked his foot under the table.
"Be nice," I whispered.
"Butterbeer of course. No alcohol at Hogwarts," Garreth said.
"It's not that alcoholic. You'd be daft to get drunk off that," Sebastian shook his head.
"Ah yes, off of normal Butterbeer, but you see, I have a knack for potions," Gareth explained as he pulled out a small flask.
"Of course," Sebastian said.
I stared at the flask. I had never had alcohol before.
Sirona came over and delivered three Butterbeers. Garreth quickly hid his flask. The moment she was gone, he whipped it out and poured some in his, then Sebastian's.
"Aura? Do you want some?" He asked me.
I paused, thinking. I had no idea what my tolerance was, even more with Ranrok and Rookwoods lot around, it probably wasn't the best idea.
"You don't have to if you don't want to Aura," Sebastian reassured me.
I nodded, "what the hell?"
Garreth excitedly poured some into my drink.

We sipped our Butterbeer and chatted. It seemed all the stress Sebastian had been feeling had melted away. Before I knew it, I was at the end of my cup.
"Oh it's empty," I said holding it upside down.
My mind felt fuzzy and my words were beginning to slur.
"Another?" Garreth asked.
"I think she's had enough," Sebastian said.
"Shhhh! I'll tell you when I've had enough," I said.
Sebastian laughed and rolled his eyes.
Gareth motioned over to Sirona, requesting another glass, then after she had dropped it off and left, he poured his special concoction.
I sipped some more.
"Garrethhh, how did you make this?" I asked.
"Oh you know, sugar, yeast, etc."
"No magical ingredient? Whaaa?"
He laughed, "no magical ingredient."
Garreth downed his cup and signalled Sirona for another. I turned to Sebastian beside me.
"Why aren't you drinking more?" I asked, slurring my words.
"Someone's got to take care of you," he laughed.
I pouted, "I'm not a child."
"No, you're not. You've made that abundantly clear," he said.
"What is that supposed to mean?" I pouted.
"You're just always so independent, I mean look at what you've taken on," he said.
I watched his face. Was I really that independent? I mean I did have a lot going on, and most of the time I had to hide how deeply it tormented me. I didn't see myself as mature.
"I don't know what you guys are talking about, but Aura you're quite the elusive one. You've been here three months now, and barely anyone knows anything about you," Garreth said.
"I'm really not that interesting," I laughed awkwardly. I mean what was there to know? I was born from muggles, and abandoned as a child. It's not the happiest story around.
"You seem pretty interesting to me. I mean you just started at Hogwarts and you're already a powerful witch. Plus you have a knack for mischief," he winked.
I didn't know why, but hearing Garreth say that made me blush. I felt the heat rising in my cheeks, and gulped down the rest of my Butterbeer a little too quickly.