23 | changes

Chapter 23 : Changes

Aadarsh usually preferred breakfast after having a bath, but today was different. He was hungry. As he made his way down the stairs, his gaze moved to the dining table. Abhi and Nirvaan were already at the table. Ruhaani was helping Dai Jaan set up the table as she did almost every other day. His steps slowed as he watched her fill Nirvaan's plate asking him to start eating.

Nirvaan was a slow eater in the family. Ruhaani would generally serve his plate first. At dinner, she would even sit with him till he finished. Even if he got a book to read while eating, she would still give him company. Sometimes reading her own book on her kindle tab.

"Bhabhs, please tell me you have something better than poha!" Abhi said, looking disappointed upon seeing what was served to his brother.

"Sorry Abhi, you need to learn to eat everything." She said.

"Pretty please. DJ," he turned to the other woman.

"She's the Sehgal mom now. I just follow orders. Thank God, for her. I no longer have to trouble myself thinking what to make for breakfast." DJ spoke and then continued to talk to herself. "I sleep so well these days. She's a blessing indeed."

Ruhaani wanted to laugh. Aadarsh could see the mirth dancing in her eyes as she looked towards them. He could spot the amusement on her face, one that had the potential to transform into a boisterous laughter however she just grinned.

"Bhabs, please, tell me there's more than just poha."

"Oats, there!" She pointed to a wide bowl that was covered with a lid.

"I don't like that either."

Ruhaani dismissed his remark with a one-shouldered shrug.

"This is not fair!" He grumbled folding his arms.

"Don't be a kid, Bhai!" Ashvi commented as she walked from the common washroom to the dining table.

"Shut up!" Abhi muttered annoyed, still not done with his tantrum.

"DJ, my fruits." Ashvi said settling on the chair across the table from Abhi.

"Haa, look at you slyly escaping by eating fruits for breakfast!" He commented.

"I have been in a fruit diet for breakfast from three days! It's a very healthy diet. Whose stopping you from eating fruits too? Oh wait .. your stomach won't fill with fruits, will it?" She asked feigning curiosity.

Abhi narrowed his eyes at her. "Forget about me. You didn't tell me some bird shit on your hair." His gaze was fixated on her neat bun. Her hair looked oiled or perhaps it was gelled, and it was made into a bun that sat high on her head.

Ashvi's jaw dropped, "how dare you, this a new hair style, you dodo!"

"You called your elder brother a dodo!" He gasped sharply.

"Timeout!" Ruhaani announced looking at the two shocked. Aadarsh wondered how she could still be shocked by their behaviour. They were always like that. He hated the fact that she had taken over his role to be the peace maker. It was only his right to use 'timeout' with his siblings. Not hers. However, she had made it hers, very conveniently.

"Abhi, you need to be kind and don't fuss, I have made pancake for you." She gestured to DJ and the older lady grinned revealing the pancake in the plate she had been holding on to.

"And Ashvi, your hairstyle looks ...." she stalled a bit to fetch the right words, "rather stylish. But you mustn't call names. Especially not before an audience." She discreetly pointed to Nirvaan.