Chapter 9

Fujiko had been kind enough that morning to retrieve some clothes for (y/n) so she wasn't stuck running around in a nightgown, something that (y/n) deeply appreciated. She had also been given a hat and sunglasses to be less conspicuous in public in case the police decided to put their attention on finding her. (Y/n) felt that it seemed more suspicious, but no one seemed to pay her any mind.

Paris was bustling with activity as normal. No one could guess that within the center, a group of thieves started work in the library. (Y/n) was in the corner thumbing over some old newspapers and articles. Jigen walked around her table and set a large book down on top of the table.

"What's this?" (Y/n) eyed the large dusty work.

"Old city records. I thought that we could find something that correlates with one of those records we found in that room." Jigen exclaimed as he pulled out a journal from his coat.

"Keeping secrets from even me now Jigen? I am hurt." an older man, presumably Lupin, rounded the corner from a shelf, putting a hand to his chest in a fake hurt expression. (Y/n) recalled an article calling him a man of many disguises. They weren't kidding. This was near uncanny valley levels of good, possibly better than the first disguise he wore when they first met.

"I guess it slipped my mind while being chased by Zenigata. By the way, what happened to the element of discretion last night?" Jigen teased back.

Lupin only laughed before taking a seat next to (y/n), taking the little black book of names. "You said you found this at the mansion?"

"Yes, in a secret room. I discovered it last night when we found an old passage in the walls." (Y/n) inputted. She blushed while thinking about the events from the previous evening. She wondered if she and Jigen would get another private moment like that again. Would he even still be interested in her when all this was over?

"This is pretty convenient given our new revelations from last night. This here is a record of people who owe money. It's pretty common especially amongst money loaners and debtors to keep a record like this. However, it would seem these payments had to be immediate." Lupin explained snapping (y/n) out of her thoughts.

"So they would need the money on the spot when they visit then?"

"Yes. But I still don't know what the X means on the list. I have a theory though. Worst case scenario, they could have been killed."

(Y/N) felt the pit of her stomach drop when she heard those words. "Grand-mere what were you up to?" she mumbled to herself.

"We won't know for sure until we verify that information though. Jigen does the date of that book correspond with this record."

"It's the same year. It's pretty vague." Jigen scratched his head.

"All we need to do then is look at the first name and see what was going on in Paris during January then. (Y/n) could you gather all the newspapers from January of this date that you can find?"

"Yes." (Y/n) got up from her spot and went back to her shelf again.

Once Lupin was sure she was gone, he stroked his fake beard and turned his attention to Jigen "Alright Jigen fess up. What's going on? Why so touchy and secretive all the sudden?" he lowered his voice.

"I really don't know myself. I just have this feeling in my gut that something's not right with this job, and you know how I feel about this stuff." Jigen hummed in thought for a moment before continuing. "She's mixed up in something worse than she realizes and she's reckless."

Lupin thought for a second before chuckling to himself "I see. You have feelings for her don't you? I won't get in the way then. Wouldn't want my devilishly handsome looks sway her opinions now."