3: half-assed pity

"Your vocal chords are bruised," the medic said as she tilted your head from side to side to assess the damage, "You should refrain from speaking for over the weekend to let them heal on their own."

You nodded, gently pressing away at the sore skin on your neck the instant the medic turned around to find the bandage. You had been reckless. Thinking that you would be able to throw off such a large scale attack that would leave puddles deep enough for you to mend with, and mend your own body until it was nothing but water – without taking damage.

Lucky and overconfident, that is what you had been. Overconfident in your own abilities, and it nearly cost you your voice.

With each breath you took, barbwires sliced open your throat, tearing away at the skin until you could taste the iron. The medic was kind and gentle, wrapping you in the bandages.

Lucky, and humbled – thats what you were.

As you had been shielding Aizawa's body with your own, All Might had appeared. You didn't know why or how you had escaped, barely unscratched. He had hauled both you and Aizawa away from the attack, alongside Midoriya, Asui and Mineta. Ten seconds longer and you would have been –

If you thought about it that way – you would never be able to let it go.

"When the weekend passes, and you're still in a lot of pain, you need to come to the hospital to get a work-up. Ok?"

You nodded.

"And drink plenty of warm fluids."

You nodded again.

"Good, then you are cleared to go."

Instinctively reaching out for the bandage to your neck, you glanced back over at the medic with a pale smile – offering some gratitude for being patched up. The medic offered a warm smile in return, before you got up from the seat.

Present Mic was over by your side a moment later, offering a hand for support – even though you had no problem walking. Sending him a confused glance, his eyebrows twitched – as if he was on the verge of tears – but kept them back. Coming to a halt, the front of your eyebrows raised whilst the back furrowed downwards in complete worry. Wouldn't Aizawa be fine?

"Thank you," Mic choked back the words of gratitude. "Aizawa managed to talk before he got shipped off in the ambulance, and – thank you. He is a good buddy of mine."

They hardly looked like they would be a pair which got along, but it was more of a black cat and golden retriever duo than anything. Present Mic was loud, extroverted and the polar opposite of Aizawa. A relieved breath left you as you looked down at your feet. If only you could talk. You wanted to ask whether Aizawa would be fine, but there were no words coming out.

"You'll be a fine hero someday," he placed his hand on the back of your shoulder, "Come on, let's get you on the bus."

Every bone in your body ached as you stepped onto the bus with the parting words from Present Mic for you to 'get well soon'. Pitiful glances got sent in your direction, as you sat down on the closest available and empty seat. Todoroki let out a grunt beside you as you tilted your head back, preparing to sleep back to UA.

"You ok?"

You opened one eye, glancing over at Todoroki who was studying you intently. Without being able to talk, you had no snide remarks to say. All you could do was nod, before silently gesturing to him with your gaze.

"Oh, I'm fine."

You nodded again, before settling back against the seat.

"Your plan worked the second time around," Todoroki said. "It annoys me that you're this tactical, but it worked."