43: internships part 2

The halls of UA were silent, most had already dispersed to school while the rest had gone off to internships. The only sound was Todoroki's footsteps that echoed with your own. He held a firm grip on your hand, his thumb kept rubbing comforting circles at the back of your hand to try and soothe you. Half asleep, and annoyed by the eyepatch which had been a staple the entire weekend, all you could do was gently caress his hand in return.

He held such a firm hold of your hand like he was expecting world-shattering news while at the infirmary.

"It's going to be fine," you tried to reassure him, despite your worries.

"You don't know that."

"I do – because I can see with my right eye," you frowned at his lack of trust, a deep furrow growing between your eyebrows. He matched your expression as he used his free hand to smooth out your displeased look.

While washing your face this morning, your sight had been fine. A little blurry and annoyed by the fluorescents, but other than that – fine. Todoroki acted like you were blind for life, as did Bakugo. There had been no end to Bakugo's guilt over the entire weekend too. If Todoroki wasn't breathing down your neck with his concern, Bakugo was.

Todoroki only clutched your hand tighter as you crossed the final corner, spotting the infirmary door. He sucked in a sharp breath, acting as if you were going to your doom. Which you weren't. Considering how your eye was only mildly annoyed by the lights and the strain, you assumed that Recovery Girl would allow you to start the internship as planned.

"You're late, you know?" you turned to look at him, once you stopped in front of the infirmary door.

Todoroki rolled his eyes, "It's just my old man."

"You're still late though," You gave his hand a gentle squeeze, before leaning subtly against him to brush a kiss against his temple, "Plus, I need you to keep Bakugo and Midoriya at an arm's distance so Bakugo won't murder him. I'm fine here, I promise."

His look went from neutral, to something which looked like compliance. He sighed gently as he studied your face with scrutiny. The silence stretched on for a few seconds, all until he caved.

"Fine," he relented, "But you better keep me updated."

"Promise," you smiled in return. Truth was, you wouldn't be able to handle bad news if Todoroki was in the room with you. He had been so worried the entire weekend, and he was exhausted with concern. It showed in the puffiness of his eyes and the dark circles which rarely were prominent on his flawless face.

Todoroki leaned forward, pressing his lips against your forehead in a kiss that made your heart swell, and warmth flow through every limb to your fingertips. Your eyes closed, greedily soaking up the comfort he brought to your being.

"Have a good day," he murmured, his breath fanning gently over your forehead. His fingers squeezed yours one final time, before letting go.

"You too," you couldn't help yourself and stole a sweet kiss. He smiled against your lips, before pulling back so you wouldn't get caught kissing in the halls at UA. Aizawa had been gracious enough to give you free space back at the dorms, there was no need to push the boundary further.

He waved goodbye with the softest little smile on his face, before slipping around the corner and out of sight. Once Todoroki was gone, the halls seemed gloomier and colder, preparing you for the inevitable judgment. You had spent too long reassuring Todoroki and Bakugo that you would inevitably be fine – forgetting about easing your worries at the same time.

With a defeated sigh, you turned to knock at the infirmary door. It didn't take long before Recovery Girl showed up, looking surprised to see just you. She had probably heard Todoroki's voice and anticipated that he would show up too. A pale smile forced itself on your face in greeting, and she let you into the office without a fuss.