Chapter One

It's a normal day at the office. My officemates going on about the next band that'll tour in town or the awesome mocha latte in the coffee shop next door while I am on my cubicle clicking away on Tumblr.

I searched #teenager. A lot of quotes and photos came up in the query; one of them is the novel by the infamous author C. Williams, 'The Anatomy of the Heart'. Yep, I read that, it's about this girl who fell in love with this other guy on high school but the thing is that after high school the girl fell out of love and left the guy... Feels a little familiar to me, though, but who am I kidding? It's a novel, pretty sure it's fictitious.

I sighed as I clicked away, "River!", my head popped as our chief editor began to scream my name. She went to my cubicle and passed me a book. Talking about the devil, "The Anatomy of the Heart is reaching the top charts in NY Bestsellers right now. I need you to look into it."

"I already read it."

"Good. Now research on it, I need it to be in our features for our August issue."

August? I counted the months... Five months? "August? Won't it be that too late to feature a current bestseller?"

"River, it's called strategy. Well re-ignite the fire after the other magazines are done with it. That way the book will get a fan base, fandom and probably a sequel. I don't need you questioning about the strategy, work on it.", she flipped her frizzy hair, "oh and also work on this month's topic."

"Alright" I mumbled. So much for my exciting career, eh?

When I got into college I have no idea that I would end up in a magazine company, a teen magazine! I was never a girly. Back then my friends collect Seventeen magazines, J-14, Popstar, Teen Vogue and such while I collect National Geographic and Reader's Digest.

Well, I think you get where I'm coming from.

Finally 7:30 came!

"I'm off." I told my officemate at the next cubicle, we are on the same section of the magazine, TEENAGERS.

She nodded at me.

My phone rang as I get off the elevator, "Yellow."

"Hey babe, are you off?"

"Yes I am. I'll be home in a bit. How about you?"

"I'm off early, I got grocery and I am at your apartment."

"Whoa, are you suggesting that you'll cook for me tonight? I would love to taste Chef Evan's special dish. I can't wait to be there." I said giddily. I am literally excited for this. It's very rare for him to cook at home, mostly because he's too busy with at the hospital.

"You got it! Be careful on the road. Love you babe."

"Yeah you too."

As I started my car, my phone rang again. "Yellow."

"River, I have the information about C. Williams, are you still in the compound?" and of course, who is more clingy that my boyfriend?

"I'll be right up."

"C is quite hard to find. Her book is self-published, her photo nor her contact details aren't there. It's like she just popped out of nowhere. But since I am me, I've contacted several publishing houses that might have a hold of this girl. Luckily one of them said that they have rejected her manuscript a while back. Her full name is Charlotte Williams, 19 years old, studying at a prep school in Michigan. You might have to go there for an interview and maybe we could add some extra projects for you so that your trip to Michigan won't be wasted."