𝐒𝐘𝐏𝐍𝐎𝐒𝐈𝐒

"menace! we have a new foster family for 'ya!" my social worker, mr wolfe yelled throughout the room

"yo mr w! are they decent?" i sat down in front of him.

"it appears so. south side of chicago, good neighbourhood, you'll fit right in!" he continues.

"alright i get it! i'll go pack my shit." i push the chair back as i stand up, leaving the room.

~~

multiple knocks were left on the house, a guy threw a football around, shouting 'touch down!' as he opened the door, almost wacking mr wolfe in the face. i stifled a laugh as his face suddenly turned serious.

"mr ball? this is barry, barry menace, he's your new foster child." he held his hand on my shoulder. i shrugged it off as he talked.

"oh my goodness," a black woman looked me up and down, her tits basically staring at me.

"well, i'll get going, see 'ya soon, menace!" mr wolfe closed the door behind him as i stared at my new foster dad. he was tall and well built, i assumed he played a sport of some kind. basketball or football maybe.

"so.. barry! i'll get your room set up!" veronica clapped her hands together as she huffled up the stairs.

"so uh.. you play basketball?" kevin whistled me into the kitchen.

"yeah," i stare at the abundance of appliances around the area.

"i coach it! you should join sometime!" he smiled, handing me a piece of paper. i stared at it.
it was a shopping list.

milk, bread, cigarettes, butter, chocolate

"you know kash 'n grab?" kev asked intently.

"yeah, i can go pick up the shit if you want," i turn towards the door.

"thanks man! oh there's a red headed guy that works at the register his names ian. tell him that kev sent 'ya!" he handed me a few bills.

~~

i stared at the sign out front, the front window was bordered up from the inside. it looked quite rundown.

i entered and a bell went off signalling i was in there.

i grabbed the things i needed, and a beer.

"just these and a pack of red." he nodded and slid them on the counter.

i was contemplating telling the guy.

"uh.. you're ian right? um kev sent me." i fiddled with the end of my dreads under my cap.

"oh! you're kevs foster kid! i get off my shift now, you can drop the shit at kevs and you can come round mine? its only two doors up." he rung up my things as he talked.

"sure! thanks," i opened the carton of cigarettes, sliding one in my mouth and lighting it.