5

Saturday had come around fast and I was leaving a hard intense Pilates class with my longtime friend Carmen. She had texted me once she heard I was back in town and this is our 2nd time hanging out although we text and facetime.

"Girl I hate that class but love how it makes my body feel." Carmen said, rolling her neck as she opened the door of the building walking out of it. We strolled down the city sidewalk as the sun beamed down on us. We wanted to get smoothies and talk before departing our ways.

We reminisced about the countless memories we shared in highschool, from impromptu road trips to late-night laughter-filled conversations. Carmen's vibrant energy always brought an extra spark to any occasion, and I was grateful to rekindle our friendship.

We were now sitting with our smoothies eating fruits as she caught me up on her work drama. She was a Nurse Practitioner at Tufts Medical Center.

"Bitches at that hospital do not want to test me because I'll have them on the hospital bed, okay," Carmen stressed, putting her fruit that was on her fork in the air before eating it. I laughed putting my head back, I forgot how much of a hothead she was.

I chimed in, "Girl tell me about it, you might have a patient incoming because I'm so tired of this man."
The brownskin women snapped her head at me, "What the fuck has Jayson been doing?" Carmen asked.

"Oh girl, not Jayson, he is good. It's this nigga Colby, Maya paired me with to create the art exhibit show in December. He is so annoying and entitled," I said venting, not realizing she was staring at me smirking.

"What do you mean Jayson is good?" Carmen asked, smirking.

I chuckled, " Nothing, you and Malika need to let this shit go. I am not worried about a man, especially Jayson's ass."

Carmen was always around me and Jayson in school. We were on the cheerleading team together, she was another one who shipped me and him together.

As we continued talking, I heard my name being called from behind me. Looking straight ahead at Carmen she was sitting there with her eyebrows raised trying to put pieces together. "Nadia, what are you doing here girl?"

Turning in my seat I quickly tried to wash the annoyance off my face with a smile. "Hi Colby, I'm just having smoothie with my homegirl," I replied with a tight-lipped smile.

"That's great, homegirl," he said, his eyes flickering over to Carmen before landing back on me with that dumbass smirk he always has. "Well, it was great running into you. I'll see you early Monday morning?" I nodded before he walked away.

"Mr. Colby is fine," Carmen said, watching him walk away, which resulted in me quickly frowning.

"Please, spare me," I said, taking another sip of my smoothie. "He's nothing but an entitled, arrogant prick."

"Preach," Carmen chimed in, causing us to laugh.
​​
Monday Morning

Sitting at my desk, Colby was on my couch and we were going over ideas, and I had finally had enough of him shooting mine down. "Colby, I appreciate your input, but can we please work together on this?' I motioned between us, 'We have a deadline to meet, and I need us to be on the same page," I said, trying to keep my frustration in check.

He looked at me with a raised eyebrow, "What are you talking about? I'm trying to help you make it better."

"I know you are, but I also need you to respect my ideas and not shoot them down without consideration. We were paired up for a reason, so let's work together and create something dope."

Colby nodded, taken aback by my tone.
About two hours had passed, and we had finally agreed on something great. I was excited to say the least. We were now sitting in Maya's office, waiting for her to come back from her walk. We had models of our ideas pulled up on the screen that sat on the stand behind us.

While sitting in the quiet room, my Apple watch buzzed. Looking down, I saw a text from Jayson.

Jay- Deuce at Neveah's house tonight and I want to hang out with my favorite girl. Picking you up @7 dress comfortably.

Looking down at the text, I smiled before Colby spoke, "Damn, you can go swimming in those dimples with how hard you're smiling."

I turned to Colby with a raised eyebrow, "Excuse me?"

He chuckled, "I'm just saying, whoever sent that text must be making you really happy." I thought to myself, how about you mind your business? I simply smirked in response.

Just then, Maya walked in and took a seat behind her desk. "Alright, let's see what you two have come up with," she said, gesturing toward the screen.

After 20 minutes of showing her all the models and how we wanted the show to be set up, we stood waiting for a response.

Maya sat back in her chair, studying the screen before her. "This is definitely something different," she said, tapping her pen against her chin.
"But I like it. It's inspiring and bold, just what we need to make a statement."

Colby and I exchanged a look, both feeling relieved and proud of our work.

"Thank you, Maya," I said, unable to hide my smile.

Maya nodded, "Great work, you two. I'll be sure to forward this to the rest of the team and let them know that we're moving forward with your concept."

With that, she dismissed us, and we left her office feeling accomplished.

As we walked out, Colby turned to me with a smile. "Looks like we make a pretty good team after all."

I rolled my eyes but couldn't help but grin, "Don't get too ahead of yourself, Colby." I walked away, feeling him checking out my backside.
———

Comment and Vote loveshow are we liking it?Give me sum things you guys wanna see

how are we liking it?
Give me sum things you guys wanna see..