six

pretty when you cry

lana del rey

am I that girl that you dream of?

✩‧₊˚. ⋆˚ ༘

Then next evening, Hermione, Wera and I left dinner at fifteen minutes to seven and they accompanied me to just outside the slytherin common room, under the impression that I needed moral support (which I kind of did).

Mars was at the first quidditch practise of the year, and therefore I knew for a fact that I would be able to start without Malfoy there to disrupt me.

"Thanks you guys," I sighed.
"Good luck," said Wera, smiling ruefully.

"Thanks," I said, pushing open the door of the common room and going inside as she turned away to go to her own common room.

The common room was buzzing with people, and I took an empty seat by the fire. I took out my cauldron, ingredients and textbooks and decided to make a start; it's not like Snape had to know about the dynamic between us.

I added the fairy wings and heated them until the potion turned turquoise, but after that I decided that the smartest thing to do was wait - I'd didn't want to get in trouble if Malfoy decided to tell tales on me to Snape, and he would be back any minute anyway.

Milka and Venus came padding down from the dormitory. Milka jumped up into the chair next to me, mewing loudly for attention, and Venus curled up by the fire. I stroked Milka's head while I waited, and she purred contently.

Malfoy and the rest of the quidditch team entered the common room five minutes later. Mars was in the lead.

"Hey," I said to her, smiling, "how'd it go?"

"It went good," she said, "I reckon we'll be fine. Do you want me to come sit with you?" she mouthed, as Malfoy was right behind her.

"Mars you should eat! I'm sure that was a long practise."

She let out a sigh of relief. "Thank you, I'm starving. Are you sure?"

I smiled again. "I'm sure, it's okay."

Mars gave me a grateful smile and headed to the door again. "Good luck!" she called.
"Thanks," I said, waving.

Malfoy came and occupied the seat next to mine, flitting a look at the turquoise substance in the cauldron. "You really do think a lot of yourself, don't you Eve?" said he contemptuously.

"You can check if you like, it's right," I said, tipping one measure of doxy eggs into the bubbling cauldron, "you're welcome by the way."

He narrowed his at me. "Why should I thank you? I could've done this all by myself."

"I'll just say there must be a reason Snape put us together," I said, smirking.

He didn't respond, but starting unpacking his own ingredients and books.

Milka opened her eyes sleepily and rolled over to her side, and I scratched behind her ears.

"So, let's keep going," I said stiffly, stirring the turquoise liquid.

Mars drifted back into the common room twenty minutes later, but clearly didn't want to get involved and went to talk to Willow instead; I could hardly blame her.

An hour after starting, the potion was almost finished, which I announced.

"Thank Merlin," said Malfoy.

"Just a gentle reminder that we're probably stuck together for the rest of the fucking year," I said, "trust me, I hate you more than you hate me."

Malfoy scoffed. "Not possible, Eve," he said.