Book 2, Chp 12: The Shademurk

Vex POV

We continue our journey to the Fey realm to seek the next vestige. Soon we've arrive to what appears to be a swamp.

Keyleth: This place...I feel darkness. I can connect with the plant roots, but I only sense...sadness...longing. What did this to you.

YN: Whatever did this, no good thing comes from swamps. This I know.

I crouch down and touch the black goo to examine it until we suddenly hear a echo voice.

???: My heart...

Vax: Do you hear that?

Garmelie: (Panic.) Don't listen to him!

YN: To who?

???: Felt the pain...

Garmelie: (Cover his ears.) Clear your heads. Block it out. Oh!

The echo travels through the swamp as it hisses.

Vax: What the hell was that!? (Grabs Garmelie.) We're not fond of surprises. Start talking.

Garmelie: Oh, its fine, its fine. The Shademurk is home to a cursed Archfey named Saundor. But as long as you don't submit to his voice, his sadness won't turt you.

Vax: Ah, how reassuring.

YN: Just ignore the voices and we'll be fine.

I couldn't help but wonder what the voices mean and what is he trying to say until Vax called me.

Vax: Stubby, keep up.

I catch up with my friends before I hear him called my name.

Saundor: Vex'ahlia...

I try to ignore it while we keep moving, soon we arrive to where there's more of those black goo.

Garmelie: As promised, the Shademurk Bog

Vex: Whoa...

I look around and notice the large tree is bigger than any other around the swamp.

Vex: Fenthras must be in that tree.

3rd POV

Vex moves ahead and YN medallion suddenly vibrates, picking up a powerful magical threat.

YN: I don't like the look of this place.

Just then, Saundor whispers echoes through Vex.

Saundor: Vex'ahlia...come closer...

Vex walks above the black goo and the others notice that she's being lure towards the tree, as if she's being controlled.

Percy: Vex? Are you all right?