26 ~ A Speck in the Universe

My sunglasses on, and an iced coffee in my hand, I sit in a coffee shop by the window, completely basked in the afternoon sun. I stretch my fingers inside my cast, wishing I could itch just an inch deeper than the fit allows. My wrist is stiff and still swollen, but the urge to move it is driving me nuts.

Finals are officially over. The Fall semester is finished. I am done with college. For good.

Although it's a relief, the feeling is oddly sad. As if I'll lose connection to everything that came with college.

My thoughts are interrupted by a large coffee cup being placed on the table.

"Hey, Delilah!" Agatha greets me, shaking me from my somber mood. She beams at me, her face equaling the color of her jacket and shirt. Bright pink.

"Agatha!" I stand and we hug tightly as the shadows of the window sway over our shoulders.

"How are you doing?" she asks and we sit back down.

The most common-asked question being flung at me, I purse my lips, unable to admit I'm the same as I was three weeks ago. Perhaps a little more tired, a little worse for wear. Maybe even more fearful of life now that my options have been exhausted.

I nod, ignoring the thousands of issues I could instantly mention. "I'm not bad. How are you?"

"Happy that finals are over." She sighs, the sunlight making her hair brilliant platinum. "Honestly, the day after finals is my favorite because you can really appreciate not having to stress about anything."

"Seriously." I nod in agreement, sucking on my straw. The coffee is just a little too bitter for my liking.

"I'm also happy that I get to be here, with you."

I look up at her, surprised.

Agatha smiles, a gentle twinkle in her bright eyes. "I thought for sure, you didn't like me."

"What? Why-"

"It was pretty obvious, you know. You're not that hard to read." She laughs, taking a drink from her cup.

I slide my straw in and out as reflections of the ice cubes in my cup slide across the table, back and forth. "Oh, well I guess at first, you were kind of obnoxious but..."

"Oh! So honest!" Agatha puts a hand on her heart, the rings on her fingers glimmering in the sun. Looking at me, she then goes serious. "But that's why I like you. You're really an open book and you say the cold truth. Delilah, the world needs more people like you. People that show their true thoughts so blatantly, you can really tell they don't like you." She points at me sternly.

I roll my eyes. "Gee, thanks."

We laugh together and I wonder why I kept to myself when the people around me don't always intend to hurt me. Within just a few moments, I realize the world is so much better than my small view of it. Through the tiny crack that I've seen all of reality, my perspective is a speck in this giant universe.

Even though I misjudged Agatha, she is a true friend. And I've been shut off for far too long.

...

The streets are sunny and bright. My coffee tastes better as I sip it along my walk home. Perhaps because the ice has melted a little. Agatha promised to keep in touch, making sure I do the same.

Something like a little light shines inside me and I smile to myself. The blinding sunshine surrounds me. I turn up to look at the sky. Puffy clouds slide across the dark blue, gently morphing with the breeze. The streets hum with people as they shop and soak in the rare warmth of a winter day. I stand still in the heat, letting it soak into me completely.