Chapter Seven

Leia had a predicament. She really, really, really did not like training. And she really, really, really hated Patrats. Every time she saw one she didn't even bother throwing out Oshawatt (whom she learned was a big coward) because she was too busy trying to run away. In the few days she had been put on training duty, Leia's Oshawatt had improved enormously... to say.... about... one level.

Leia was losing hope when she accidently ran into a guy. She was muttering under her breath cusing Toma and wishing she had a cheese sanwich, when she smacked her head and fell backwards into a guy.

"Whoa! Watch where you're going--- ...Who are you?" Leia brushed the dirt off her shorts.

"I should be asking you that." The boy readjusted his glasses.

"You're the one that bumped into me." Leia said stubbornly.

"Ladies first." The boy stared back, equally stubborn.

Leia took a step forward, but ending up tripping... on who knows what.

The boy looked surprised, but didn't bother catching Leia. He simple stepped to the side and looked amused, "You're like Bianca. Tripping on air."

Leia glared at him... Wait... Bianca? "Bianca? The chic with blond hair and that giant green hat?"

The boy nodded, "You know Bianca? Oh lemme guess, you got your first pokemon at the lab. What are you doing here in Striaton?"

"Uh, battling Cilan?"

"What?! You just started your journey? You're, what, fourteen?!"

"Thirteen. I started late, okay? What's it to you?" Leia snapped at him.

"Well, I was going to Pokemon League with my Samurott, because this will be my second attempt. But I got an offer to take over as the first gym leader because apparently Cilan wants to go on a journey with Ash Ketchum."

"Ash Ketchum?" I wrinkled my nose in disgust, "The dude on TV with cheesy catch phrases?"

"....Yeah Cilan got a main role apparently."

"Wait... I've seen you on TV too! You're.... You're.... Cherry?"

That was the first time Leia saw a real face palm. It looked like it hurt.

----

They were all at a cafe, Jack in a bad mood because of some argument with Toma. Toma was staring at Cheran practically goggling.

Cheren took off his coat and was reading a book nonchalantly while sipping coffee.

Leia sat awkwardly through this all. "So... since you're gonna become the first gym leader.... Any tips on beating Cilan?"

Cheren slowly closed his book, "Well obviously, since he'll be a grass type, you want to aim for weaknesses. Flying or fire for example. And you want to outlevel him because he is a gym leader, not some wild pokemon. He will play strategies. I'll be a normal type when I fill in, so it'll be a matter of skill and will for me. Hm... Cilan? Oshawatt then? I remember my Oshawatt. Any other pokemon?"

Jack stared at him like some foreign being, "Just train, train, then kick his butt!"

"It's not that easy... anyways yeah, I do, well, I did have another Pokemon---" Toma cut Leia off.

"NOPE! No other Pokemon! Uh, Mr. Cheren. She's completely hopeless, such a darling though. So please help her. I'll pay the bill and you guys have fun, kay?" Leia stared. Leia had never seen Toma so flustered nor foot the bill.

Cheren sighed, "This will be hard. Thanks anwyays." He readjusted his tie (Such an OCD freak) and left, beckoning for Leia to follow.

Cheren led Leia out of the city and into a clearing.

He sent out a Herdier, "Attack me."

"Not fair! Oshawatt's only level ten. Your Herdier's, what, 16?!"

Cheren ignored Leia, "Herdier, use Take Down!"

Oshawott scrambled out of the way, yelping in surprise.

"Fine then. Be that way. Use Tackle!" Oshawott ran at the Herdier, but it jumped out of the way.

After a few failed attempts, Oshawott was panting, but no damage was done to either side.

"Well this is going no where."

"Well Mr. Smarty Pants aren't you a genius?" Leia returned her Oshawott.

Cheren gave Leia a wicked smile, "Crash course on training. By tomorrow you'll challenge Cilan. With JUST your Oshawott."

Leia groaned. Now Cheren AND Toma were pressuring her to win through training (Ugh) and Jack wasn't much help because he was a workaholic. That was great.

---

Leia woke up early in the morning to cram with Cheren. He was strict, but he'd make a good teacher. Oshawott had gain several levels. And... Cheren had given her a secret weapon. Finally, he'd taken pity after hours of complaining. This was it-- Leia was ready.

------------------

Author's Note:

I. AM. ALIVE!!!!! :)