5: Mistaken?

Magic is something that has yet to have been fully grasped, however despite this many had already accepted it immediately, just like the concept of life and or death. Its purpose varies from person to person, but for the majority, it is seen as an opportunity to rise in status, because whether you were poor or rich, a noble or a commoner, anyone possesses mana, although not everyone can use it.

Specific qualities must be met like having a functioning mana pool and intelligence. If a specific quality is not present or is damaged, performing magic may become more challenging, impossible even, and can also result in death, those who suffer such misfortune are called defects.

The ones that are blessed by the gods and were given specific qualities are sent to magic academies. Commoners who can't afford to be admitted, but could perform magic are enrolled for free or until they are assigned as a mage or as an alchemist, it all depends on their selected course.

But as always, there are always those who are more favored by the gods and had been blessed with heightened qualities like a large mana pool and high intelligence.

These so-called magic prodigies are sent to a different class section, the special magic class (SMC for short), where they are taught more advance and complex aspects of each of the branches of magic.

Inside the second-year senior special magic class, is a lecture room full of prodigies from all sorts of backgrounds, these outstanding students, despite possessing almost all of the specific qualities, some are even heightened to a high degree, can't be compared to Ver Kirsten Sinclair, a defect.

The boy had transferred to their class in their first year. Aside from being the rumored 'dead' oldest son of Duke Sinclair and being handsome, they had no information about him.

At that time, Ver stood next to their Professor with a smile as he introduced himself.

"Ver Kirsten Sinclair, 16."

He seemed approachable at that time until he continued, "I hope everyone could keep up with me."

His polite and friendly smile instantly looked sinister in their eyes.

After that, all of them couldn't wait to humiliate the other during their first period, spell incantation.

However, they didn't expect...

Ver took out what looked like an unpolished ruby.

"...a mana stone?"

"A raw one too."

All eyes were on Ver.

The boy didn't bother to explain and proceed to use the sharpest edge of the mana stone to cut an estimated two-inch slit in his palm.

The smell of iron mixed with a fishy scent occupied the air.

Ver then held the raw mana stone, coating it with his blood.

"Flame." He muttered under his breath.

"AHHHHHHHH!"

"Dear gods!"

Those near him screamed in fright as a raging orange blaze as tall as Ver, erupted from his hand.

"Condense." The boy commanded.

The raging blaze retracted to Ver's hand. It then swirled at an incredibly fast pace. Sparks flew, making everyone retreat.

A few seconds had passed, and the blaze disappeared.

Ver casually walked towards the Professor. He opened his clenched hand, that is still dripping blood, to reveal a ball about the size of the cafeteria meatballs.