𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑜𝑛𝑒

CHAPTER ONE
These Lungs Hold Blood

She knew the second that she was back, she'd be thrown back into the madness. And Preston was never wrong.

Sitting down at the bar, she sighed, clearly not wanting to be in any proximity to Damon Salvatore, or anyone really. Liz dropped a batch of printed paper in front of Damon, on the bar counter.

"'Family Gas Line Leads to Tragic Explosion at Young Farm.' Really?" Damon questioned the headline.

"So... I leave for two weeks and it all goes to shit." Preston muttered, knowing damn well that any supernatural being with enhanced hearing could hear her.

Liz went to Preston's right, looking at Damon. "Better than 'Town Council Blown Up, Police Have No Suspects.' Unless the perpetrator is right next to me." She responded.

"Don't look at me. I always take credit for killing people. Maybe you should question that one." Damon said, gesturing to Preston.

"I'm guessing the thing happened either when I was gone or just when I got back? I was at her place. Probably sleeping or drinking copious amounts of coffee." Preston defended, crossing her arms.

When Liz continued staring at Damon, he said, "seriously. Stop looking at me like that, Liz. If I was gonna kill twelve people, I wouldn't blow them up. I'd have a dinner party."

"The explosion was sparked from inside. This wasn't an accident." Liz told them both.

"Check if anyone in the town has explosives. Unless of course they're not from Shitty Ville, then, that'd be harder to track." Preston suggested, taking a sip of her whiskey.

"You say that like it's a bad thing. Council is dead, Liz. I see that as a win." Damon directed it back to Liz.

"I've known some of them since I was a kid. They were my friends." Liz defended with a furious tone.

"Your friends tried to kill your daughter." Damon reasoned.

"Who's the new guy?" Preston asked, subtly motioning to the new guy walking in.

"Excuse me, sheriff. Um, I was wondering if I could speak to you for a minute. It's about the explosion." The guy started.

"I'm sorry, mister..."

"Oh. Connor Jordan." He shook Liz's hand.

Preston looked at the firm shake, it was something she noted a lot. She looked at the black biker gloves, maybe it was a style choice, maybe it wasn't.

"Are you with the insurance investigators?" Liz questioned.

"No, I'm more of a, uh, independent contractor." Connor replied.

"He hesitated." Preston muttered extremely quietly so only Damon could hear, who nodded in response.

"Can we speak in private?" Connor asked. Liz agreed, making Preston furrow her brows.

"Nice to meet you too, Mr. Busybody-Guy." Damon spat.

Preston got up from the bar stool and started walking out the bar. "Where the hell are you going?" Damon asked.

"Away from you." Preston replied, stepping into the sun.

Alcohol disappeared quickly from her system, giving her the ability to ride the motorcycle.

The second she got in the Forbes' house, she nearly dropped to the ground. She held onto the wall, trying to catch her breath.

She went to run to the bathroom but blood started spilling from her mouth. Her vision started fading to black, which concerned her a small amount.

The first thought in her mind was that she was dying again, and due to the loss of blood, it was possible. Preston held her stomach with the free hand, and went to sit on the sofa. She didn't have time to think about how pissed Liz and Caroline would be about blood on the sofa, she just couldn't stand to be on the bathroom floor tiles.

A headache started to form, and that turned into a migraine, which was not how Preston had planned for her day to go.

Then again, her day never went the perfectly ideal route.

Preston is just annoyed by everything and everyone

She's honestly used to death by now

Okay, bye!