𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑓𝑖𝑣𝑒

CHAPTER FIVE
Woodchips

It took a day or two for Preston to wake up. When she did, she groaned. She stood up and cracked her back, then neck, then fingers.

    "Dear lord, must you do that?"

    Preston smiled when she saw Meredith freaking Carson standing there. She hugged Meredith like her life depended on it.

    "You're back!" Preston stated.

    "Not for long. But... I wanted to make sure you were alright with everything that's been going on." Meredith held Preston's forearms gently.

    "I'm fine, Aunt Meredith." Preston grinned at the new nickname for Meredith.

    "I am not your aunt."

    "No, but you're like family and you were close with my mom." Preston reasoned, grabbing the coffee cup.

    "Well now that I know you're alright, I have to leave. I have business to take care of." Meredith said, ruffling Preston's hair.

    —

    From what Preston found out, Elena killed Connor and was having hallucinations.

    She got on her motorcycle and drove off to find Elena, who was talking with Caroline as they set up stuff for the Miss Mystic Falls thing, which Preston still didn't understand.

    Elena looked at her and let out a sigh of relief while Caroline smiled at Preston walking towards them. "You're alive!" Elena breathed out, hugging her.

    "Yes, yes I am. You got your own personal annoying girlfriend back." Preston smirked.

    "Excuse me." A random man called. He walked over to the three girls. "I'm a little lost. I'm here to interview contestants."

    "You're Professor Shane." Elena recalled.

    "That's right. Professor by day, pageant judge by other day." Shane replied.

    Preston narrowed her eyes.

    "In spite of being absurdly unqualified, apparently I'm awarding a scholarship?" Shane said.

    "Uh, inside by the parlor." Caroline answered.

    "Right in here? Alright, I'll just follow the scent of hairspray and world domination." Shane smiled, walking off.

    "I don't like him." Preston stated.

    "He's the one who told Damon how to break the Hunter's Curse." Elena realised.

    "Also the one that has Bonnie so obsessed with practicing magic... that she bailed on pageant prep." Caroline said.

    "Really wish that was me so I could not be here." Preston muttered, looking up at the sky.

    "And now he's judging Miss Mystic Falls?" Elena questioned.

    "What the fuck did I miss?" Preston wondered quietly.