Preeti Patel

PREETI PATEL IS SUPPOSED TO PLAY JULIET IN THE YEAR-END PERFORMANCE.

Which is only a week and a couple of days away. I'm not supposed to be watching the rehearsal, but there's a plan that needs formulating, and it involves the auditorium. Very close inspection of the seating, the schedules, backstage workings and Darcy.

It pains me to say that whatever happens to her is all because she didn't take my warning on Friday. I'm starting to care about shit that I shouldn't be concerned about. Because of her, I can't go through with what I have in mind. It has to wait.

And what better time than the big show next Friday.

Preeti is a phenomenal actress. If I let her in on my plan, will she follow along or call the police on me? I suppose the latter. Nobody wants to be an accessory to any sort of crime, but I'm desperate.

I don't want to rot in hell alone.

Max enters the scene next, sad and enraged. This is the final scene where Juliet is thought to be dead and Romeo-being the genius that he is-concludes that if she's dead, his life is meaningless. Not true. He could murder her family and run away with her. Certainly his best option. But we know Shakespeare doesn't like the best options. He was a sadist. I love that about him. We're perfect for each other. If Shakespeare was a teenager of the twenty-first century, he'd be my partner in crime. Quite literally.

"Come, bitter conduct, come, unsavoury guide. Thou desperate pilot, now at once run on. The dashing rocks thy seasick, weary bark. Here's to my love! O true apothecary. Thy drugs are quick. Thus with a kiss I die."

He drinks the poison and falls motionless. My favourite part of the play.

"And cut! That was perfect, guys! Really proud of you for that! Why don't you go ahead and take five!"

Darcy saunters on stage in a flutter of loose sheets and tousled hair. She adjusts her glasses over her eyes and jots something down before offering her two actors a broad grin. Preeti and Max walk offstage, and we're plummeted into silence. As soon as she catches my eye, I jump to my feet.

"You're not supposed to be here," her voice echoes through the auditorium, sounding brasher than it's ever been.

"Darcy, wait!" I take hurried steps towards her before she disappears backstage. Running up the steps, my fingers latch unto her wrist and draw her back.

"Look," I start. "I don't like it when you get this way around me. Tell me what's wrong."

Darcy looks at me. Not directly at me, past me. Over my shoulder. I see it on her face again, she doesn't want to kiss me as much as I want to kiss her.

"Yeah, I'm pretty pissed, Monty. You aren't being honest with me either and I hate it. I'm always honest with you so how's any of this fair?"

"I know it's not, but I..."

She finally fixates her round eyes on me and pouts her lips a bit, a gentle flush rising to her cheeks. "I'm your boyfriend," I insist. "There's no need to feel that way. Just give me some time and I'll fix this."

"That's not how it works." Darcy forces her hand out of my grip and hides them both behind her back. I attempt to reach for them again, but she takes a step back and averts her gaze to the empty chairs. "I can still be unhappy, whether you're trying or not."

"Darcy."

"What do you want?" Her eyes narrow at me, and I don't know how to get them as soft as they once were.

"What the fuck is wrong with you? You're just gonna act like I mean nothing now? We went out on a date over the weekend! I almost ended up in a body bag because your dad was pissed that you got home so late! And this is how you're acting?"