Author's note

This brings us to the end of Shoot.

I just wanted to clarify a few things for the readers. The relationship between Darcy and Jackson was not healthy. It was obsessive, warped, and abusive.

Throughout the book, you've seen Jackson constantly act controlling and lose his temper. This was a major sign that their relationship was toxic. Moreover, Jackson is a narcissist, as most psychopaths are, and there have been many points to prove it. Strangely enough, though, spotting a psychopath is hard and people tend to find them likable because they know how to manipulate people to get what they want.

A second thing to be aware of is that Jackson is an unreliable narrator. Remember, we're reading the story from his perspective, so we only get his point of view and nobody else's. Everything you read, you read through his lens. It's important to understand this because he makes himself out to be the victim, he is deceptive, and he is misguided. He tries to rationalize his feelings and justify them. That in no way, shape, or form makes them justifiable despite the fact that Jackson is the main character and is telling us his story.

Ryder and Jackson's relationship appears to be a close and intimate one, with both characters expressing love and affection for each other. However, it is also clear that there is some guilt and regret on Jackson's part for what happened between them, which adds a layer of complexity to their dynamic. They are the Romeo and Juliet mentioned in the second last chapter.

Again though, Jackson is a horrible person and his actions were absolutely unforgivable. But I guess with this book, I wanted to humanize everybody. The victims and the perpetrator.

Thank you all for your support!

See you in the next story!

xx