Chapter Eleven

"So," Father starts, a grave look on his face, "Kendry told me you made plans to collect blueberries in the forest. Is that true?"

I hesitate and look over at Kendry again, who gives me a quick nod. "Yes, that was the plan."

"That's interesting, considering blueberries aren't in season right now," Father laughs, looking at me unblinkingly. "Do you want to tell us the real reason why you want to go to the woods? Kendry wouldn't do it, but maybe you can."

I open my mouth, then close it again. My mind goes everywhere, trying to think of some other explanation or excuse. But nothing comes to mind, so it seems my only choice is to tell the truth. And I do; I tell it all, every single detail about the whole process that has consumed my life for the past few weeks.

It takes a couple of minutes for my parents to respond. They stare, and stare, and stare. I can't say I blame them; that was a lot to unpack in the span of ten minutes.

But finally, Father gives one word in response: "No."

"Father, I have to. Wren's grandmother-"

"Is not your responsibility," he cuts in, finishing the sentence for me. "Do you really think you'll be able to get her out? Verlockend has had that containment center for years, Fawn, and it's necessary. It's sad, but those people have to be isolated. We're not safe around them."

"But what if I can break the curse? Then the elderly can live the remainder of their lives in peace, instead of being locked away. We can't keep living this way. I can't keep living this way. I need to know what's wrong with me."

"There's nothing wrong with you, love," Mother coos, attempting to make me feel better. But it only irritates me more. Why am I the only one who wants change in this kingdom?

"Fawn, the whole situation with Bellamy could be nothing more than a coincidence. You're not the only person in this kingdom who has been adopted, and you were found so close to the Grandarbren border. We are convinced your parents are Grandarbren, so your mother's right – there's nothing wrong with you at all," Father adds, giving me a confident smile.

I can slowly feel my brain shutting down. No matter what I say, it just doesn't seem like this is a fight I can win. I deserve to know the truth, I deserve to stand up for myself. Yet I can't. Not against my parents, whom I respect so much. Even though I have definitely grown more confident like Jac said, I just can't do it.

A sudden knock at the front door puts an end to my thoughts. It shocks the rest of my family as well, considering how late it is. The bakery closed hours ago.

Father lumbers to the front door, a confused look etching his features. He slowly opens it, jumping back when a hooded woman walks in without invitation. She clumsily enters the room and takes off her hood, revealing a face that I have come to easily recognize. It's Ebony.

She scrutinizes the room, stopping in her tracks upon spotting me. "Hello again, Fawn. I realize it is late, but I just received a letter from Bellamy and thought you'd want to read it. You showed quite an interest in her, after all." She walks over and hands me a folded piece of paper, stepping back to watch me read.

The room goes silent as I read its contents. My parents still seem quite bewildered at Ebony's random arrival, but they put it aside for my sake.

Dearest Ebony,

I have some unfortunate news to share with you. The king has gotten involved in my case, and my sentence has been increased. I will now serve life in prison until I can earn enough to leave. Thankfully, you have permission to visit me once a month. It's not much, but I suppose it's the best we can get in these circumstances. I have but one wish while I spend my time here: please find my daughter. I love her dearly, and abandoning her was agony. She is the only beautiful thing that came out of that sickening affair.