Chapter Three

I wake up to the chaotic buzz of bees. I jump out of bed, prepared to swat at any bug that tries to bother me. But then I realize that the sound I'm hearing is talking, which means the bakery is busy. I sigh, knowing my work is cut out for me today.

I'm in the middle of braiding my hair when I hear a loud, desperate knock at my door. I yelp and grab a mask to cover my face, doing it just in time before Wren shoves herself in.

"My goodness, were you planning on sleeping the whole morning away?" Wren grumbles, handing me a bundle of smooth fabric. "Everyone is waiting for you. Put this on and make yourself look decent."

"Alright then," I laugh, confused but deciding not to ask. I have a much more important question. "How are you doing today?"

She answers me with a faint smile. She looks more pale than usual, and even with her mask on I can see hints of dark circles under her eyes. Her grandmother's disappearance is hitting her hard, but there is nothing anyone can do. Even those with high authority are helpless against the curse.

After Wren leaves, I step into the dress and admire myself in the mirror. It is lovely, made out of pale blue cotton and embroidered with colorful flowers. It's tight in the waist and then flows out, forming a satisfying shape when I twirl.

I sit down to continue my hair, deciding to give myself a braid crown. I weave a pale ribbon into it and look at myself in the mirror once again, nodding in approval. I'm not sure what is going on in the bakery today, but at least I know I'll look suitable for it.

I put on my nicest mask and walk downstairs, the buzz getting louder and louder as I descend. Once I reach the first floor, I realize just how many people are present. My family is here, along with Wren of course. But the room is also filled with people from the village I know, like my favorite vendors and the librarian who sees me so often.

"Happy birthday!" They all cheer once they notice me.

I laugh, feeling ridiculous for forgetting my own day of birth. I suppose with all the bustle of ball preparation, it stayed in the back of my mind.

"Only the best for our daughter," Father announces, gesturing to a beautifully adorned cake. It is three layers and is frosted pale pink, covered in juicy strawberries and white chocolate flowers.

Father serves up the dessert while I make my rounds, trying my best to chat with every guest. I had no idea this party was happening, but I'm still expected to be polite and thank everyone for coming. During this process I receive a couple of sweet gifts, either bought in the market or homemade if money is tight.

It's a very successful and enjoyable party. I barely spoil myself, so it's nice to relax and treat myself to cake. Towards the end, however, I find myself feeling overwhelmed. The bakery is small, not nearly big enough to hold all the people my parents invited. I begin to feel claustrophobic, which leads to stress, which leads to me quickly excusing myself and going back upstairs.

Overtime, the buzz dies down as people leave. They all know me quite well, so they probably caught on that I needed alone time.

I throw myself onto my bed and stuff my face into the scratchy but familiar pillow. I stay like that for a while, enjoying the silence. After about twenty minutes, my parents knock on the door and walk in to check on me. Twenty minutes is usually about how long it takes for me to calm myself.

"I'm so sorry," Mother sighs, lowering herself to sit on the edge of my bed. "We weren't going to have so many guests, but word of your birthday spread and people kept asking to come. We couldn't say no."