Prologue

I am sure many can agree that masquerade balls are enjoyable events. Well, unless you are an introvert like me, but that is beside the point. Masquerade balls are exciting. Mysterious. Thrilling, if I may be so bold. And why wouldn't they be? Everyone arrives dressed in the most extravagant fashions, their carefully selected outfits showcasing their personal style.

However, these only serve as hints. No one knows who anyone is because of the sparkling masks worn on every face. As the guests glide across the floor, they don't only focus on putting on a show – but also indulge themselves in a guessing game. Curious whispers fill the air as the dancers wonder who the dashing man in the corner is, or who the alluring woman in red chiffon could be. Who is who? Nobody knows.

So yes, I will admit that masquerade balls are fun. As a monthly event, maybe. But imagine having a masquerade ball every day. And this time, without all the glitz and glamour.

The sad truth is that everything changes when you strip a masquerade ball of all its entertaining qualities. When you take away the glamorous ballroom, the glittering gowns, and the handsome guests, you are left with something not so beautiful. Instead, it is simply a group of confused citizens wandering around in the dark, their masks hiding whatever may lie beneath.

This is my reality.