04 | Rescue

"I had all and then most of you some and now none of you

"I had all and then most of you some and now none of you."

*********

When Bonnie woke up that morning, she felt at peace. She had a strong sense that the day ahead would bring nothing but contentment. Walking to school with her friend Anne was the plan and she knew it would be a smooth day.

That all quickly changed. Bonnie was at the place Anne and her were supposed to meet, but Anne hadn't shown up yet. Bonnie instead waited a little longer before she left for school.

As Bonnie trod through the thick forest, the sound of her footsteps echoed through the trees. The leaves crunched loudly beneath her shoes as she tried to navigate her way to school. She had trusted Anne to choose a meeting spot where she would lead them both safely to their destination, but Anne hadn't shown up, so Bonnie had no idea where she was.

Bonnie's concentration was suddenly shattered by heavy horseshoes pounding against the ground. Without even thinking, she attempted to dodge the collision, only to be jolted aside by the impact of another person's body. The forceful crash toppled them both to the ground, leaving them wheezing and sputtering in a state of utter chaos. "What the bloody hell?" Bonnie murmured, her nerves shaken by the unexpected upheaval.

As the stranger rose to his feet, he let out a cough before extending his gloved hand toward her. "Are you alright Miss?" he inquired, appearing to be roughly the same age as Bonnie, or perhaps a year older. The stranger had black curly hair and hazel eyes, causing Bonnie to acknowledge that he was handsome.

As he lifted her up, Bonnie grasped his hand, "I'm great," She said with sarcasm "almost like I didn't get almost run over by a horse."

"Are you always this sarcastic when someone saves your life?" The stranger asked.

"I am when that someone happens to be a stranger." Bonnie said, "Now if you will excuse me I have somewhere to be."

"you're welcome," he insisted, "Need anything else? Any dragons around here need slaying?"

"Nope," she shrugged "all good." 

"I could walk you to your destination." he assured, "You seemed pretty lost back there."

Bonnie figured he could help since technically she was lost but she also figured she was a smart and independent woman and that she could find her own way to school without the help of others. "Really, It's all good," She said "but thanks for rescuing me back there." She quickly started jogging away from the stranger hoping any turn would lead her to the schoolhouse so she wouldn't be tardy.

"Hey, wait up, what's your name?" she could hear being yelled from behind her.