24 • Teamwork makes the dream work

It's been two days since academy graduation, but as the room slowly begins to fill up, I can tell that none of their excited energy has dissipated. It's tiring just to look at; then again, exhaustion is practically a part of my personality at this point.

Who knew that passing the initial month's worth of weekend training in sleep-deprivation (for what else could it be called?) would level me up to going through the same training at spontaneous times, for unpredictable lengths, throughout the rest of the year(s)?

Naps are a lifesaver and the most important part of life. As well as the only reason the academy building has yet to be even slightly burned down by the Brats or me.

Forget the child soldiers and treason, I think sardonically, suppressing my third yawn in the last half hour, purposely messing with my sleep schedule is the real crime and what makes Dino a monster.

The noise of the room lulls for a moment before exploding. I glance to the front of the room to see Naruto standing there, his new headband proudly tied around his forehead. I can make out several people asking how he got it, which is fair; none of the Brats were very quiet or subtle about their anger over the discrimination that was Little Blond's failure.

Looking around, I can tell that none of the Brats are all that surprised. Whether that's because their parents told them or Little Blond did it himself before today, I can't say. I hadn't been allowed outside of HQ until today, holed up in one of the training rooms simultaneously getting the shit beat out of me and beating the shit out of others. I don't even know what became of the plan the Brats' parents came up with to help Naruto that day. Maybe I'll ask him if he knows.

Sounds of an argument pull me away from my thoughts and I can only roll my eyes when I find the source. It seems Naruto and Sasuke had decided to race to the academy today, and Sasuke just arrived looking very displeased. He probably got caught in one of the blond's traps again.

"What number are they at, now?" Ino sighs, sliding into the open space to my right at the back of the room. "And who's in the lead?"

"That's 'race to the academy' number 89," I say, amused despite myself. "And Naruto's 45th win, putting him in the lead."

Ino straightens in her seat with a grin. "And since this is probably the last time we'll be at the academy, it's also his official win! Finally, something they don't tie at."

I snort, but nod in agreement. I don't really know how or why those two started this odd rivalry between them, but I've spent enough of my free time around them to know they can never come to a definite winner in anything. There's just no end to the things they challenge each other in and how many times. I would know; I've subconsciously been keeping count of it all.

Leaning back, I content myself with watching everyone else until one of the academy teachers decide to show up to assign teams. Sasuke and Naruto end up sitting at the desk in front of mine, Ino having corralled Hinata into the last space on our bench. Kiba and Akumaru soon join the two boys before us, always happy to encourage their arguments. In comparison to their loud energy, Shino, Choji and Shikamaru sit in silence at the desk right next to us.

It isn't long until I'm stretching my arms over my head, trying to keep myself awake a little longer, knowing Iruka is making his way down the hall. Just because I always slept in his class doesn't mean I didn't try to give off the impression of paying attention at the beginning of every lesson. I have just enough respect for him for that little bit of decency. Why wouldn't I, with all the shit the Brats and I put him through?

The class quiets down just in time as the door slides open. Iruka stands in the doorway for a moment, simply looking over everyone with a thoughtful expression. He shakes his head after a second, muttering something under his breath before fully stepping into the room and closing the door behind him.