Chapter 9

Blurry images of color and light rushed into view as Hemlock cracked his eyes open. He couldn't see clearly, and the light made a rush of pain pound in his head, each heartbeat was like a fist to his temple. He didn't feel right, brittle and alien; like he didn't belong. Before he opened his eyes fully, Hemlock felt around him. Starchy sheets brushed against his skin and his clothes were changed, the smell of disinfectant stung his nose. He opened his eyes all the way and felt the shock of horror and confusion bring tears to his eyes. He was in the hospital.

Hemlock closed his eyes quickly, but maybe too quickly because his head pounded even more, vertigo made his vision swirl. "Wake up, wake up," he pleaded, putting his hands on his head. His hands were shaking tremendously. He let his hair run through his fingers but stopped short when he felt the most unpleasant sensation on his fingertips; the twisting texture of thread through skin, with the slightest wetness.

This wasn't a dream, he was wide-awake; reality was the horror this time. He looked around him in desperation, needing comfort from this nightmare. He felt tubes flowing from his nostrils and an IV drip system pump fluid into his forearm. Where was Ange? Jacoby? What the fuck happened? He ripped the oxygen tubes out of his nose and threw them on the floor. Which was a horrible idea, he instantly gagged.

Questions flooded his mind as he sat there, feeling like a vegetable. He was dumbstruck, unable to move. The weight of an invisible anvil made him feel like he was being held down to the bed, strangling him, making him gasp for breath. The door slammed open, causing Hemlock to cry out in surprise.

"Hemlock! You're awake!" Ange ran towards Hemlock, his eyes were bloodshot and sunken in. It looked like he hadn't slept in days, which was most likely true. He placed his hand upon Hemlock's shoulder, examining his brother. He then turned to Jacoby, who was trailing behind him. "Go get the nurse, see if he is ok."

Jacoby just stared at Hemlock, his mouth set. His lips looked chapped and his eyes, too, were red and tired. He turned around and gently closed the door behind him, leaving Hemlock and Ange alone in the room. Hemlock lay back on the sheets, looking at his older brother. Ange was taking in deep, troubled breaths. He turned to Hemlock, eyes fierce.

"What the hell happened, Hemlock?" he asked, his voice dripping with both anger and confusion. Hemlock could see he was frustrated, for his arms were tense, the vein on his forehead was bulging.

"How am I supposed to know?" Hemlock growled grumpily, reaching over to open a water bottle that was on the side table, his mouth felt like it had been full of dirt. "I just woke up here! I must have blacked out in the attic... something happened... but I don't know what."

"The attic?" Ange's hazel eyes bulged out. "Hemlock... we found you at the bottom of the stairs on the first floor!"

A chill went through his body, and Hemlock dropped his hands to his lap to look at them. There were scratches all over his palms, most likely from splinters. As he looked down his arms he saw bruises and scrapes interwoven with his tattoos. The IV needle in his arm made him squirm, he looked away.

"Hem... Just try," Ange laid his hand on Hemlock's knee, trying to comfort his little brother but his tone was serious. Hemlock's eyes narrowed, and his brow furrowed. He tried to remember, but all he could think of was her. Hemlock looked up at Ange and opened his mouth, trying to think of words without sounding insane. The door banged open.

Jacoby re-entered, trying to look cheerful and normal, with a nurse following behind him. She had a new bag of fluids and Jacoby was carrying a tray of food. He let the nurse go first, she changed his IV, and checked his head for fever. Then she injected more painkillers into his IV; she didn't talk to Hemlock, avoiding his dark stare. Leaving quickly, the nurse closed the door behind her, leaving the three in silence. Jacoby sat the tray on Hemlock's lap, but grabbed the chocolate pudding and started eating it, quietly. Hemlock sighed and heaved himself into a sitting position. He grabbed at his food, scarfing it down. Ange exhaled deeply and got up from the end of the bed and sat down on the chair beside the table. Jacoby was leaning against the wall, his eyes darting from the door to Hemlock's face.