Chapter 14

Hemlock put on a pair of his sunglasses and pressed on the gas pedal a little harder, making the Jeep lurch forward down the highway. He had borrowed Ange's, saying that he was going back to Pinedale for a checkup and to do some errands. Instead, he zoomed past Gypsum and up route 352 along the Green River.

The sun was setting slightly, and Hemlock's eyes kept checking the clock, making sure he was making time. Hemlock wanted to reach Howling before nightfall, so he could get familiar with it again, without getting lost. He wore the pocket watch, and every once in a while, the sun would glint against the blacktop of the onyx ring. He felt protected, ready to let the paranormal energies seep into his blood again. Goosebumps crept up his arm and he shivered. He felt feverish and his teeth started to chatter. Hemlock turned up the heat and breathed deeply. He couldn't let his nerves get the better of him, he needed to stay focused and poised. Plus, he needed to make up an excuse for Brigid. He couldn't just waltz up to the Lodge and ask for a free night's stay. When entering the cloudbank, he was hit by a wall of thick snow. He hadn't called in advance, because he didn't want her to say no... It was childish of him, but always better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission, right?

He felt his stomach drop as pavement turned into gravel. The Jeep turned onto the small dirt road that would lead him to the canyon; Hemlock glanced briefly at the sign that welcomed him to Howling. The lights were on in the Lodge, and it looked like there were signs of life. He sighed in relief. As Hemlock pulled up to the front of the massive house, he looked up at the small attic window but was surprised to see nothing flash in front of the glass. Hemlock frowned. But what had he expected? He parked Ange's Jeep by the carriage house that held the buggy and hay for Opal, and leapt out, carrying his backpack. The snow swirled and fell in thick flakes, covering everything in sight. As he walked towards the front of the Lodge, he felt it. The air changed, like it always did when he was in a paranormal area, his hair started to stand up on end and he felt the electricity in the air. He smiled confidently and strode to the door, his boots clamoring against the hollow wooden deck loudly. Even before he could ring the brass doorbell, Brigid yanked the door open; her gray eyes wide with surprise, glasses askew, her wavy red hair up in a messy bun. Her eyes reflected the snow and her chin was set; like she knew he had been coming.

"Hemlock! What are you doing here?" Brigid demanded. Her tone seemed to be masking suspicion.

"I...I..." Hemlock gulped, knowing this would happen. Hadn't he practiced in the car? Get it together. "I wanted to see the house again, I wanted to stay one more night... Without passing out." He added, trying to bring a joke into the situation.

"I can't just let you in here... you need a reservation or an invite." Brigid scoffed, crossing her arms. Her green sweater was wrinkly from the day's work, and her brass name tag was close to falling off. Above all, Hemlock noticed that her ankles were red from the lavender mary-janes she wore on her feet. She must have been standing all day, thought Hemlock, empathy softening his face.

"Look- I'll pay you. It may not be right now, or for a while, but I always stick to my word..." Hemlock started but then Brigid chuckled. He looked up at her in shock.

"Oh, come on, Hemlock, I was just kidding. Of course, you can stay the night!" She laughed, it sounded genuine. "I just put on dinner! I was expecting an old friend from Lander for supper, but they canceled because of the weather. It looks like it's just you and me! I made spaghetti." And without hesitation, she grabbed Hemlock's arm and pushed him inside, she was surprisingly strong. He let his backpack slide from his shoulder at the base of the stairs and hung his coat on the hall tree. Brigid smiled and rushed back to the kitchen. She came back out with a cup of peppermint tea and set it in Hemlock's hand. He smiled at her as she went back into the kitchen, wandering into the dining room. He remembered his last visit here and thought of Ange. Ange would be furious knowing that he was here with Brigid... alone. Even though they weren't officially dating, he knew that Ange seriously liked her, and Hemlock wondered if he had even officially asked her out yet. Ange was a bit of a nervous wreck when it came to that. He sat down at the head of the table, contemplating. The smell of sweet mint and honey from his tea made him realize just how hungry he was.