CHAPTER 8

"Oh and by the way, if it helps, you have enough fans right here, in this very cafe. My colleagues. And I may not have watched your movie, but well, you're a friendly star, a controversy free guy."

The outside world was still somewhat buzzing with the noise of cars, but there was complete silence and warmth inside the cafe. The warmth had blurred the cold and noise outside. They stared at each other with quiet glances as Patrick continued sipping his coffee.

"At least till now." Patrick added.

"It doesn't matter. Your real fans will always love you." He smiled warmly.

"But yeah, are you sure you didn't really impregnate her? You know, hate can lead to-I mean, you do know that trope, right?" She spoke as if speaking to a friend. Just how friendly was this guy? He could make himself feel like an old friend in just 2 meetings.

"Are you kidding me?" He was pissed which scared her. Again, had she spoken a lot? Maybe she should have remembered her limits. The guy was unpredictable. The moment he got a bit friendly and she let her guard down too, he decided to bring on the star ego again.

"Don't tell me you're a fan of those cheesy teen novels!" He remarked with a somewhat disgusted face.

At this Tyla felt relieved that at least she hadn't crossed her limits.

"I mean…..it's not just teens…..sometimes adults….." Tyla was afraid to speak and spoke with caution.

"You haven't seen any of my interviews, have you? Gosh, I feel like such a normal person with you. Informing about my own life. Shouting about my own life. I….actually have been pretty public about my hatred for her. I publicly called her the 'queen of controversies' when she told the media about Stephen Ryan sexting with her and tried to break his 6 year long marriage with Georgina Buckley. I know Stephen is a loyal man. He would never do that. Anyway, if the word gets out that I impregnated Hayden Morris, people would call me two-faced. Or worse, they would call it to be a rage of hormones if they are fans of those cheesy novels like you. Moreover, even if I try to prove the rumours to be false, or if Hayden Morris doesn't turn out to be actually pregnant, everyone will still say that I forced her to abort the child, or they will cook up something else. The media just needs material, if they don't get it, they can cook something up themselves"

Tyla was thinking about Nancy as Patrick spoke.

"I mean…." He paused to take a sip of coffee before continuing, "this is really good by the way, takes the stress off temporarily…." 

Tyla smiled. She genuinely liked the appreciation.

"My PR Rob is really good at cleaning these messes up. You think I haven't been threatened by such controversies before? But it is Rob who has never let the things get on the surface. He is just great at his job. I hope he takes care of this too. Oh." He stared at the empty cup.

"Well, well, looks like it's the end of the coffee….and the end of our chat too."

"Oh….yeah." Tyla stared at the empty cup.

However, Patrick didn't get up. He kept staring at the empty cup longingly as if he wanted more. More of the coffee. Perhaps, more of the conversation. Here was one person to whom it would genuinely not matter whether he did impregnate Hayden Morris or not. Whether the word got out or not. The cafe was their own little world and he did not wish to step out of it so soon.

"Do you want some more?" Tyla asked suddenly, the words coming out of her mouth as if she had understood his silence.

"Oh….I would love to….but I know it's getting late for you as well." He kept the empty cup on the table and got up quietly.

It was true. It was getting late for her. Indeed. But it was a Saturday the next day anyway, which meant no early morning classes, she thought.

"Um…." Tyla didn't understand whether it would be right to ask him to stay back for another cup of coffee or not.

He paused and turned. He stared at her as if he was anticipating an important piece of news.

"Actually…..I don't mind getting another cup for you…..if you want…."

He stared at her with his eyebrows raised.

"Oh, no, no. It's okay. Really. I don't wish to keep you up any longer."

"No, I am fine. I can just oversleep." She didn't wish to let him go without another cup. Somehow, she started feeling that it was her responsibility to soothe him and the best way she thought to do so was to make a cup of coffee for him.

"What is up with you? That day you weren't willing to get a single cup for me……and today you're willing to get two?" He had a small amused smile on his face.

"I….mean…..you seem to be in need of it…." She wasn't able to find the words.

"Nah, I am good." He was in need of it but didn't really want to show that he was.

"Okay then." She stood there smiling politely and he gave her an approving nod before leaving. As he got in his car and quietly left, she sat down for a while, suddenly remembering how she had forgotten to take an autograph or a picture with him yet again.

"Argh!!" She thought to herself. "I would have gotten some proof today to shove in Carla's face and take that smirk off! But why do I care? Let her smirk as much as she wants!"

Exhausted and craving some good sleep, Tyla opened the door to an empty apartment. She checked her phone and saw a text notification from Nancy. She suddenly remembered that Nancy and Matt were going to spend the weekend away at Pismo beach town. She opened the text expectedly.

"Having fun but missing my girl a lot!" with kisses and heart emojis. Tyla was happy to see the lovely text.

Nancy was happy. Indeed. She had a different glow and liveliness ever since she started dating Matt. Tyla was happy. She was happy that her best friend found love in her ex-best friend and ex-crush.

"Missing you too, so quiet and lonely around here :(" She texted back. 

Tyla saw Nancy's stories. There were some adorable and quirky pictures with Matt inside a car. She kept the phone aside and laid on the bed, reminiscing the moments from some time ago. This was her second time meeting Patrick James but she didn't do anything this time either.

"I could have gotten something worthy of an Instagram story. Anyway my account is so empty." She tossed and turned in her bed unable to sleep. 

"This is not the first time I have met a celebrity. Come on, I have served many celebrities in the cafe, saw so many walk past by, but never felt the urge to click a picture with anyone as much as I do now. Why should I have to prove something to anyone?" 

She kept tossing and turning and wishing that she would get a chance to meet him again.