Nadine POV

I closed the website with a sigh. It was the fifth website in a row and I still hadn't found a dress!

If a showroom had a good design, it didn't have the required size or it didn't have a good design at all. 

I had refused almost all the dates and balls I had been invited to by my colleagues and that had led me into a state of helplessness when Jan asked me out on a date.

Yes. A dinner date.

A fake one though.

He justified that for our relationship to look more real, we had to hang out in places that were visited by our staff often. 

So, he had asked me to wear a dinner-friendly dress and be ready by 8 p.m. We were going to Debris Square which was the favorite restaurant of most of our staff since it was just half an hour away from the hospital and really extravagant.

I picked up my purse and keys. As soon as I was inside my car, I searched for the location of the nearest showroom I knew. I was going to wear the first design that was decent and fit me. Period.

An hour later, I found myself looking in the mirror in a dark purple tube top, a denim coat, and bell bottoms. I had thrown away the idea of wearing a dress totally after trying two of them. My hair was combed into a neat bun and my flings were curled.

At 7p.m I walked out of the parlor to find a lack Maseratti waiting for me. That man was always on time! 

"Hey!" I greeted him as I pulled the seat belt.

Jan was wearing a white shirt and although he wore white shirts to the hospital too, this shirt made him loom more casual...or maybe he was feeling relaxed himself...

"Are you nervous?" he asked chuckling.

"Why wouldn't I be? A date with Peter Parker! That's hard to handle." I said shaking my hand from side to side as I tried hard to control my reaction.

"Jokes aside, Nadine, you are having a lot of shitty stuff going on in your life right now. I know it's hard and I don't want to preach anything to you....but just don't let the world crumble your soul. Okay?"

I nodded and continued staring at the buildings that we passed.

The drive was an hour long and we filled it with some case discussions. That is not what people do on dates but since this was just a stage play, I felt we must use our time wisely.

When he had parked his car, he gestured for me to not leave the car. He got down, walked towards my door, and held it open for me.

Offering me his hand, he said"May I have the honor please?"

He had a gentle smile on his face but his eyes didn't reciprocate the joy...they reflected a very serious note. He was a really good actor!

He took my hand in his as we walked into the restaurant. The aroma of delicious food hit me but it couldn't ease my nerves.

Soft music was playing in the background but I felt apprehension ruling my heart.

I guessed that it was because I had never really gone out on a date in recent times.

I took deep breaths and sat down on the chair that Jan held out for me as the waitress approached us.

"For the beautiful lady sitting in front of me, I would like to order steak to ensure that her face turns a little pinker than now."

"For the genius who is sitting in front of me, I would like to order a double-cheese burger to ensure that he gets a little more color in his plain Cardiology life."

The waitress left with a smile.

"You are really getting your stakes high," he said.

I laughed but it sounded really fake. Jan didn't comment on it, so that was a good thing.

He passed me his phone which had a patient's case file open in it. However, my brain couldn't really process stuff well and forge conclusions.

"Jan at least pretend that you are serious about this date," I said pushing his phone back towards him.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes...I mean case details...you..."

I stopped my sentence midway as Jan took my hand in his.

Leaning towards me, he began tracing small loops on the back of my hand. I tries to pull my hand but his hold was very firm.

"Nadine... the first time you assisted me in surgery, I saw your grit, your passion to use all the tools of Science to save lives.  You are strong, intelligent...independent, and the owner of a very beautiful heart. I really want to thank you for agreeing to come out for dinner with me tonight....your company is an honor." he said in a serious tone holding my gaze.

"Jan...you...are being too serious," I whispered.

"I warned you! Chill MJ, I was just pranking you. You look too serious. I am impressed with my acting skills. Do you think I should go for auditions...you know...maybe help make a new movie better by being the lead cast?"

What!

I immediately began laughing. Of course, I should have known that he was just joking.

I looked around admiring the classic furniture of the restaurant but froze when I saw the exit door.

Two people stood there. The woman with her hand around the man's neck as he hugged her back.

"Ledger visits this place too?" Jan asked.

Hell would know the answer to that question.

I didn't want to be in the same room where these two people were present even for a second more. I got up and walked straight towards the exit. As soon as I reached the door, I heard that screechy voice that I detested.