30. Epilogue

Varian was having a great time.

His dad was saved, Rapunzel and him were on good terms, even Eugene was talking to him again.
Of course, he was worried about Cassandra, but overall, everything was fine.

He had found Ruddiger when he got to his house, and his dad's hug had been just that much fluffier.

The alchimist had showered the raccoon in apples and cuddles, happy to see him safe and sound. He had missed his little rodent.

Now, he was in the castle, partying with everyone else, in a more quiet and subdued manner than what they did a few days before, with the kingdom wide party.

He knew he had work to do to gain back the trust of everyone in the kingdom.

But something was off, in his perfect ending.

Someone was missing.
Someone important, but someone he was still mad at.
Someone that no matter how he felt about, should definitely be up there partying, because they owed so much to them.

Where was Camalia ?

He had asked Eugene first, because he was convinced he had let her out after he left with the princess, but froze in place when he was told they left her there.

He talked to everyone, getting vague answers and guilt ridden looks that couldn't bear look at his face.

As fear clawed up his gut, he was brutally brought back to his nightmare he had so long ago, and panic set in.

Varian ditched the party, running straight to the prison.

It wasn't the same as his nightmare !
People remembered her, they just... they just left her.
He had no lessons to give, he left her too, but his throat felt tight and his stomach rolled uncomfortably.
He always thought Matcha or anyone else close to her would set her free.

She had done so much ! The resistance knew that, the guards knew that !

So why wasn't she there ?
Where was she ?

When Varian finally bursted into the prison, he was greeted by silence. He rushed to Camalia's cell, hoping to find her sleeping, or thinking, or knocked out, anything, just anything to explain why she was so silent.

But when he grabbed the bars and his eyes fell on the wooden bed, and the cold hard rock, nowhere he saw the music mage.

Camalia was gone.