Forest

Ship: platonic Ash x Dawn
Request by Cat-con

Timeline: during the adventure

Genre: a little bit of angst and fluff

Enjoy!

Dawn couldn't sleep. She felt hungry and went to eat something she and Blake got from a store. "A brownie can't be that bad right?" She thought to herself before eating it. She checked around and saw the others asleep. Except Ash who was nowhere to be found. She got worried and started to walk around.

"Where is he?" She wondered while checking around. She looked back at the others and thought if she should leave or stay. "They'll be okay on their on.. I hope." She thought before running away from the others.

After a few minutes she saw him in a tree. He had what seemed to be a blue flower in his hand, though Dawn couldn't see it well. "Oh you're there." She said putting her hands together. He snapped out of his thought and looked at her. "Dawn? I didn't think you would be awake-" he said putting the thing he had on his hand away and got down of the tree.

"Well I woke up feeling a little hungry then I tried to get some z's but I couldn't." she said looking away nervously. Ash chuckled a little and smiled. "Yeah.. neither I. That's why I came here to just.. relax. You know?" He responded while putting his hand behind his head.

She smiled a little and looked at the forest they were in. "This forest is quite lovely.." she said as the fireflies were passing. "It is.. I love being in places like this. It's been a thing since I can remember." Ash continued while looking around. "I understand that feeling." She said now remembering how she and her sister used to sneak out at night just to see the fireflies shine as bright as the sun would shine.

Ash smiled at the memories of him running away from his mother because he wanted to stay longer in the woods. He chuckled but then saw Dawn's expression. "Hey.. are you alright?" He asked with genuine concern. Dawn perked up a little and looked at him. "Oh yeah! I am alright." She said tucking her hair behind her ear. He had a feeling she was lying but didn't want to say anything as they only knew eachother for a few days and it would be weird to open up directly. "You seemed pretty sad to me." He said crossing his arms. She was about to say something but got cut by Ash's reply. "But I won't force you to say anything. Unless you want to speak about it." He said giving her a soft smile to which she smiled back and hugged him. "Thank you Ash, for your kind words."

He got a little nervous as the hug was unexpected but brushed it off and Pat her back.

"I can't even check what time it is because my phone is broken." He said looking it with tears in his eyes. Dawn didn't know what to say and just smiled nervously. "I.. let my phone at home." She said trying to empathize with him. "So your parents don't contact you?" He asked.

Dawn went silent and felt a bit ashamed of herself for doing that. But she had to. "Yeah.. exactly." She said rubbing her arm. "I get it.. I would've probably did the same if I was in your place." He replied rubbing his head.

They went quiet for a moment. Just admiring the atmosphere around them. Dawn look at the moon and it seemed like it was lower than it was beforw. "We should go to sleep now. Who knows what crazy events might come tomorrow." She said clearly not ready if anything bad happens. Ash looked up to her and had a nervous expression. "Yeah- let's go." He said starting to walk. Dawn followed him behind and tucked on his sleeve shirt.

"It's been a pleasure to talk with you Ash."

Nope, I didn't forget about this one-shot totally not-