FIFTY FOUR

Gia | January 2006

"Where you two going?"

Destined's deepened voice startled me as I fixed my hair in the vanity of our shared hotel room. He was going through puberty and transitioning as a middle school student. He felt as if he was becoming the man of the house over both Nasir and Allen.

"I wish I knew, Des." I laughed at my first born as he studied my reflection in the mirror. His T-Mobile sidekick in his hand as he leaned against the open door. He towered me in height these days and was slowly inching taller in height over his father.

"You look too dressed up not to know where you goin', Ma." He chuckled as she shook his head. "Who do you think you are, my father?" I playfully asked my son as I folded my arms with an attitude. "How is a dress 'too dressed up'?"

"It's too dressed up for a night with Pops."

With that, the bathroom fell silent with truth. I wasn't sure why I packed this and what Nasir's intentions were, but I didn't want to embarrass him or Allen if we were being seen together. Plus, I didn't want Des to get the wrong idea now that he knows what's going on between Nasir and I.

He knows we've been divorced for some time and that we're co-parents and best friends. But he often questions if I still love his father. I tell him that I do. All the time. But, I'm married to Allen. And I love him, too.

"So, wear the fur is what you're saying?" I raised a brow as I turned around to face my boy. Maybe the silk bodycon was a bit much on its own.

"Yeah, Ma." He nodded as his locs followed with the movement. He looked like a spitting image of his father when he was his age. Freeform and all. His dimple deepened as he continued to admire me.

"Dad doesn't deserve to see all that anyway." He joked. I tapped his shoulder with a slight chuckle. "Boy, come on." I dismissed him. Sometimes, Des was too grown to be a twelve year old boy.

Pria was asleep in bed with her scarf covering her braided scalp. She slept quietly, not a snore to be heard. The television in the hotel room was low in volume. Des hopped on the other side of the king sized mattress that Pria slept in and flipped the screen of his Sidekick up to message his friends from school.

I pushed the curled strands of hair away from my lashes as the rest of my hair was brushed and gelled into a curly updo bun. I pulled my arms through the brown chinchilla fur and motioned for Des to come to me.

"We shouldn't be gone for more than an hour. Two tops." I said as I stroked his locs between my fingertips. "Don't answer this door for anyone, you understand?"

"Yes ma'am." He said as I taught him.

"And keep an eye out for Pri. If she needs anything to eat, her food is in the mini fridge next to yours." I said as I stared into the eyes of Nasir's clone. "I programmed my number and your dad's number, so if you need us, call us."

"Got you." He said with a smile. I leaned over his forehead and planted a kiss over his delicate skin before pulling away.

"We'll be back." I said swiftly as I walked towards the door.

"Love you, Ma." Des said with a loud whisper. I turned around to look at my boy, who was slowly  becoming a little man right before our eyes.

"I love you too, kid."

Nasir | Atlantic City, NJ 8:47PM