Chapter 5 - Limelight

*Lisa's POV*

Monday!

Jennie's whining started early in the morning. One of these days, I might put my head through a wall because God! She's annoying me.

Two days with her, I am already going crazy. I feel like I have aged twenty years — mentally. I can't even understand what the problem is with her. She's the only fucking daughter of the fucking President. What more could she ask for? I just can't understand. She's irritating for no particular reason.

Right now, there are only two weeks left before Independence Day, and today, Jennie is supposed to meet her parents for the event briefing. I am waiting for her in the living room. And I have been here for almost an hour.

I was about to go and knock on the door when she finally came out. She was wearing a brown corset top and black pants. Jennie looked flawlessly elegant. She's wearing light makeup, but she's naturally beautiful. On another day or time, I could say I might become enticed by her.

What the fuck, Lisa!

I shook my thoughts away and looked at her. She was glaring at me. Okay, she's moody.

"Is there any way not to go?" She huffed.

I sighed. Brat!

"I am afraid there isn't," I spoke softly, hiding my annoyance.

She sighed. "Let's get it over with."

I nodded and led the way. She was quiet during the whole ride to the Blue House. She kept staring out the window of the passenger seat. Jennie is indeed interesting.

Jennie changed into a completely different person once she saw her parents. And I met Mrs. Kim for the first time. Like her husband, the President, she also seems like a warm person. I wonder who does Jennie takes after. Definitely not her parents.

Jennie was showing off such a fake smile in front of them. She's really good at acting. Do they even realize she's putting up a show? Well, as a matter of fact, she did make it obvious that she didn't want to be here.

I was just standing with other guards by the door in a conference room as the President's secretary explained everything to Mrs. Kim and Jennie. So, on the day, the President will be accompanied by his wife and daughter for the national speech, and he will be briefly meeting the press along with them.

Hmm... it shouldn't be that hard.

After the briefing, the President asked all of us to wait outside, and it was just the three inside the room. I stood by the door since I was not supposed to leave Jennie's side. They might have talked for about five minutes before Mr. and Mrs. Kim came out. They looked stressed.

"Lisa, please take her back home." Mr. Kim instructed me. He sounded... I don't know... tired, maybe?

I nodded and bowed at both of them.

When I opened the door and stepped into the room again, Jennie's back was facing me, and it looked like she was... no, I could be wrong. But I am sure I heard her sniffling.

She abruptly turned around and smiled. She smiled! She has never smiled at me. But the smile was fake. I could say that much. And she... she looked red.

"Are we going home now?" She asked me, almost in a whisper.

"Yes, if you don't have any commitments in the company," I responded, and she nodded.

"Do I have any restrictions on alcohol now?" I could sense the sarcasm in her voice. Maybe another time, it'd have annoyed me, but right now, I could only shake my head.