Chapter 5: The Queen's Offer

For the last three months her life life since Scar and his army were defeated, Nala had hoped that she'd never see another hyena again in her life

For the last three months her life life since Scar and his army were defeated, Nala had hoped that she'd never see another hyena again in her life. But now, here she was, standing in front of one who had just saved it. Normally, she'd have chased him off for even being there. The laws of the land were still clear to her. No hyenas were to be there, but things were complicated now. She certainly felt no urge to even be angered at the sight of his kind. Even after all they'd done to her, Simba, and her homeland with Scar, all that filled Nala's being was surprise. Her thoughts were then distracted when the hyena in front of her finally replied to her initial greeting.

"Hey...uh...how's your day going?" Zoww stood pretty rigidly as he croaked out his meek reply.

"Good...I...better now that beast was driven away..." Nala spoke back softly, still experiencing memories of her past with hyenas. This was the first time a hyena had ever lent her anything besides malice.

"Well, that's nice. I guess...I guess I'll just leave you to it then. I know I'm not really supposed to be here...not that I-"

"Wait, you don't have to leave..." Nala suddenly blurted out, interrupting Zoww. She made her decision on what to do with the hyena. She wanted to at least know her savior, and see where the circle of life would take her. Nala cleared her throat again.

"A promise is a promise, even if your kind aren't technically welcome here...I still owe you my life and the lives of my cubs. Thank you...mister..." Nala trailed off, queuing the hyena to hell her his name.

"Oh! Right, I'm Zoww. You are?.." Zoww had gotten the hint and asked what to him was a rather silly question. He knew who this was, but was just trying to keep the conversation going.

"I'm Nala. I think I already told you that I'm Queen around here. You've done a great deed today, and spared the Pride another massive amount of grief. But I'm sure you'll now have an interesting story to tell your clan."

"I'm glad that you're okay, you don't deserve to get eaten right before you have cubs. But....I don't really have a clan. They've...gone missing." Zoww's ears pinned back a little. He had little clue on where his clan were, but they weren't in the boneyard. He'd been separated from the place since that battle on Pride Rock.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that." While she was confused about how his clan could be missing, Nala did feel bad for the hyena. She knew that hyenas were quite social like her own species, and that he probably needed someone....and that's where she got an idea. Something she seriously doubted would be popular with the others, but she felt emboldened to try. Zoww seemed nice enough.

She waddled her way up to the plump hyena, his expression shifting slightly in surprise. The queen smiled softly.

"Tell you what; Since you are alone, perhaps we can help each other. I'm quite hungry at the moment and have grown too...lethargic to hunt...and I could use a good nose to find us something to eat. You look like you're eating for two yourself." She let the remark slide out naturally. Though she was curious as to why this hyena had such a noticeably round belly.

Zoww's cheeks turned red immediately. Not only was he being invited to stay for a while longer, his weight had been noticed. It was a long story that he knew he'd have to tell later, but for now, he felt it best to go along with what Nala wanted him to do. Besides, he was feeling hungry as well.

"Heh! Me? No no I'm not pregnant, I can't be, I'm a guy! This is just...just...fat. I'm kinda fat, you know?"

"Fat is a strong word. I know someone back on Pride Rock would say the better phrase is 'plump'. I digress though, let us walk together...I'd like to get to know the hyena who saved a lion's life." There was a smug flirtatious to Nala's demeanor as she turned around and began to lead Zoww away into the grasslands. The hyena could hardly believe this was happening. However, he decided to go with this new current he was floating down, and he followed after Nala, meeting her at her side.

His day has taken quite the turn, but Zoww had nothing to complain about.