Chatpter 7: Sharing Stories and Food

Sharing a meal with a hyena was the last thing Nala was expecting to be doing when she woke up that morning

Sharing a meal with a hyena was the last thing Nala was expecting to be doing when she woke up that morning. Alas, here she was, enjoying the taste of fresh zebra meat with her new acquaintance. She'd been laying there with Zoww for the past half hour, chatting casually as they ate the carcass that they'd both discovered together. Zebra was both of their favorite foods, so the two had even more common ground to talk about. They spoke about their favorite parts on the zebra to eat as said parts were being gobbled up, their muzzles and fur becoming stained with blood, as was expected. It didn't take too long for Nala to suddenly realize that Zoww had been allowing Nala to have the majority of the meal, which caused the Queen's brow to furrow in concern, her head lifting.

"Zoww, you haven't eaten all that much since you hollowed out the chest cavity. I'm sure the heart was filling but, aren't you still hungry?" Nala's head tilted, only to be met with Zoww giving a simple shake of his head.

"I'll be okay! I'm not that hungry, and you clearly need this food more than me. I'm not the one carrying a bunch of cubs in me." He smiled in a sweet way that made Nala smile back.

"If you insist. I'd hate for you to be hungry later and unable to find any food. I would invite you to Pride Rock to share some food...but I don't think having me bring you there so suddenly to eat with the Pride would go that well at the moment." The queen sighed, wishing that all this would be simple. Their Pride had such a nasty history with hyenas that even she wasn't totally aware of all the details. She knew that the conflict with their kind started all the way back when Mohatu was king. He was in fact the first Lion King.

"It's okay! If I do get hungry, I can just catch fish...or maybe knock a monkey out of a tree. I'm heavy enough!" Zoww smiled and shrugged his shoulders. This made Nala briefly chuckle. However, a thought suddenly came to her mind. Something that she had been meaning to bring up for a while, and now had the chance to do so.

"Maybe...actually, now that we've settled down here, I was wondering about your....weight. You keep saying that you have a story about how you've gotten bigger since we last saw each other, and I can definitely see it. I think I'm ready to hear about it. I'm sure it's very interesting." Nala said.

"Oh! Yeah I almost forgot. But yeah, I definitely...packed some on in the last few months. Mostly my fault, but since you wanna know so bad, you'd best sit back and listen." The hyena smiled at Nala. Behind him wagged his tail, as he was excited to tell Nala what happened.

"I'm all ears, Zoww. Tell me all about how you got so fat." Nala smirked and finally gave him the go ahead and bowed her face down to her meal, continuing to eat while listening to Zoww as he huffed playfully and cleared his throat.

"Alright then! So, after I was driven off of Pride Rock by you and the lionesses, I got really spooked by the fire that was raging, and I think I ran towards the east. I ran until I was so exhausted that I just had to sit down. By then, it was raining and all I could see around Pride Rock was smoke. I was hoping I wasn't the only one to get out of there, but I knew that being on Pride Rock was done. I was pretty bummed out all things considered. But, I suddenly felt this stinging jolt on my butt!"