Chapter 5 Iridescent

"One day, someone will walk into your life and make you see why it never worked out with anyone else."

Amber POV

"Were you shocked?"

I slowly turned my gaze to Huxley who was standing in the open bathroom door with an electric toothbrush in one hand. There are still streaks of toothpaste foam on both sides of her lips. But I find it cute. That's weird though.

"About?" I asked cluelessly while making the bed.

"About Miss Thamarra's revelation in our game earlier." She replied before continuing to brush her teeth. "I mean, can you believe it?" She continued in pure disbelief. "Don't get me wrong, okay? I have high respect for her, especially for teachers. She's like a saint, an angel. She strikes me as to be society's paradigm of a 'Dalagang Pilipina'."

She went back inside the bathroom but left it open that's why I could hear the splash of water from the faucet she opened.

"To answer your first question, no. I was not shocked." After I made the bed, I went to the front of the dresser and combed my hair.

"Why is that?" Narinig kong tanong niya mula sa loob ng banyo.

"Because I don't expect people to be holy all the time," I answered. "We are still human no matter how huge our faith in God is. We will and we will still sin."

She came out of the bathroom again. She is already wearing a sleep dress. It looked to be made of white satin and the hem was laced with iridescent colour. It made her white skin stand out even more and it seemed to become softer.

"I wish you'd stop being so sanctimonious sometimes." She commented while leaning against the door frame with folded hands.

I laughed sardonically. "I'm not. I never pretended to be more ethical and pious than everyone else."

Walang kibong naglakad siya patungo sa kama ngunit natigilan ng nasa tapat na siya ng paanan nito.

"Tell me this isn't real." I heard her say.

"What?" I walked towards her and stood beside her. I looked in the direction she was looking.

"We only have one blanket?" She commented in a disappointed voice.

Halos sabay pa kaming nagkatinginang dalawa. Her magnificent blue eyes have a hint of mischievousness in them. It was as if we both had the same thoughts, we quickly ran towards the bed and picked up both ends of the blanket together.

Parang mga batang nag-agawan kami sa kumot.

"Give it to me, Milkshake. You're a Doctor, you know that hypothermia is fatal." She said. "It can lead to complete failure of the heart and respiratory system and eventually to death."

I smiled in a scornful way. "Nice try, Gummy Bear." I replied and it earned me an 'hmp' from her. "You're a Lawyer, you know the right to equal treatment requires that all persons be treated equally before the law, without discrimination," I added in the same tone she used. "Basic law, attorney."

Ang ending? We shared the blanket while lying on both ends of the bed with our backs to each other. Pero maya't-maya ay naghihilahan pa rin kami sa kumot.

"Can we stop fighting over a stupid blanket? I'm trying to sleep." I said calmly.

She stopped tugging the blanket.

"I'm cold." I heard a tremor in her voice.

Bahagya akong napabangon at napalingon sa kanya. I remember she was wearing a thin night dress. Plus it's satin so it's easy for the cold to penetrate the fabric.