Chapter 1 Serendipitous

"Serendipity... look for something, find something else, and realized that what you've found is more suited to your needs than what you thought you were looking for."

Amber POV

"Bye!" Eunice waved goodbye as I left her studio. She is my instructor at my yoga class every Saturday morning.

I also waved back to her before I finally got out of her studio. I walked quickly when I saw the elevator door was closing. Fortunately, the man in it held the door for me.

"Thanks," I uttered.

I pulled out my cellphone from the pocket of the full-zip yoga jacket I was wearing and texted Russel. I told him to meet me at our favorite coffee shop where we will have breakfast. I told him to order a bagel bread if he got there before me.

I was looking at my cellphone when the elevator stopped in the lobby. I quickly got out and walked towards the building's entrance.

"Ate ate!" A girl around the age of ten came quickly to me with Sampaguita in her hand where they string its flowers into leis or corsages and sell them in the streets. "Bili ka na po ng paninda ko." There was a plea in her voice.

I would have ignored it but I was struck with guilt when I saw how much more she had to sell. Many clients come to this building but for sure not everyone will buy her goods. I made a sound by clacking my tongue in frustration. 

"Sige na ate, pampabuenas lang po." She again pleaded.

"Magkano ba?" I opened the gym bag I was carrying and took out my wallet.

"Twenty-five pesos lang po ang isa!" She exclaimed happily.

I couldn't help but stare at the girl. Her happiness is superficial. It's just a simple thing, but she's already very happy to sell even just a few goods. I can't help but think about how rich people experience happiness compared to less fortunate people.

Some rich people experience happiness in a more self-centered way than poor people. Some people from higher social classes were more likely to feel happiness when they know that people look up to them, or because of new cars, newly acquired properties... sometimes it is based on material things.

On the other hand, some less fortunate people find happiness in simple things. Like how they feel warm from nurturing others, buying food for their table, or being able to send their kids even to underfunded schools.

Sometimes wealth is not unequivocally associated with happiness.

"Maraming salamat po!" She said happily after I bought two hundred pesos worth of her goods. She even waved at me before leaving.

I watched her cross the streets when she saw tourists on the other side of the road. A potential buyer. I mentally commented. A faint smile tugged at my lips before continuing towards my car in the parking lot while holding the Sampaguita leis I bought.

I had barely gotten into the car when my cell phone rang. I rolled my eyes and groaned when I saw who was calling. It's Tita Anna. She is the Board Chairperson at Matalinhaga General Hospital where I work as the Head of the Emergency Department.

"Tita." I greeted when I picked up her call as I started maneuvering the car towards the road.

"Amber, did you just order another set of monitors for the emergency ward?" She immediately asked in a humorless voice.

"Yes," I replied instantly.

"Why? Are the other monitors not working anymore?" The irritation in her voice was evident. "If it can still be used, I strongly suggest not buying new ones. We have to save the money that will be used in buying new monitors."