TENSION

The night of Deji's arrival, Jenny exited the dining room immediately after their dinner to prepare a room for the new guest. While she went upstairs to arrange the room, Deji also went outside to his car to bring down his luggage. He enjoyed dinner as he announced while at the table and complimented the chef. So it brightened his mood more and he started to whistle like a young kid. Mrs Bose pulled him aside to chat with her when he re-entered the house and he dropped his suitcases on the floor.

While upstairs, Jenny chose the room opposite hers. Since she slept with Stephanie in the same room, she only kept a few items and her personal belongings in her assigned room. She did not find the compliments and flattering of Mr Deji while at dinner, absurd. Rather it made her smile as she laid his bed with new beddings. She also lit up some scented candles to make the room more comfortable and the air, fresh.

Michael left the dining table to go upstairs in a semblance of a phone conversation but it was all a lie. He wanted to see the room where Deji would be staying for a whole six months and the proximity it had to Jenny's room!

He wished the young guy had chosen to stay at the instant apartment that he wanted to. He was almost heartbroken when he saw Jenny coming out from the room opposite hers. That was too close for comfort.

Jenny wore no expression of surprise, seeing him there, neither was she overly excited as he suspected her to be. Deji is a young man of about 27 years, yet Michael suddenly felt threatened. It was as though his cousin was encroaching on his personal space.

Michael thought about the conversation he had earlier with Jenny. He wondered if she would hold it against him. He had behaved like an animal. Quite forceful, and uncivilized in his outburst. As their eyes met in front of the room, Michael whispered for her to come closer to him. Jenny raised an eyebrow. She was surprised that he was whispering. Giving her a hand sign to move towards his room door, She deduced that he did not want his mother, Deji or Stephanie who was laughing downstairs to hear what he was about to say. So she obliged him.

"I am so sorry for the way I behaved earlier in my room" He began, as he had rehearsed it in his head. Jenny kept a pleasant and welcoming expression so he felt it was alright to fully let the cat out of the bag.

"I know that Deji is my cousin" he continued "but I don't want you to feel obligated to do anything extra for him."
"I do not understand sir" Jenny replied.
"I am just trying to make his stay here feel very comfortable just the way you all have made me feel very comfortable and quite welcomed while working here these past months". She added.

"I know you are hospitable, but what I am saying is that you're different and I don't want you to stress yourself or do anything to make him very happy. In fact, I want you to know that you are not his worker or his staff. If he is hitting on you, just let me know. I promise you that I would take it so seriously." Michael declared.

"What do you mean by hitting on me?"Jenny asked.
"I mean...., you know.....," Michael stammered, scratching his head while looking for the right word to say.

"Jenny, what I meant is that, if he propositions you or asks you for something odd, just report him straight to me and I will take it up. I assure you that I will believe anything you say". Jenny smiled sarcastically, looking at him.

Suddenly Michael felt very stupid. He realized that he was whispering while he was talking. He had no idea what had taken over him. He was a man of means and can get any woman he so desires. Yet, this young girl before him was making him stutter in speech. He had already begun and it was too late to stop.

"Jenny I've known Deji for a long time and he is a big flirt. As a matter of fact, he has slept with half of the girls in Abuja before he travelled to America"
"And you are a saint sir?" Jenny asked him.
Looking at her, he saw she was not understanding or appreciating his help.