Chapter 6

Rosalie

Your past doesn't define you, Rose. I stared out the window in quiet contentment as Marley braided my hair. She was nowhere near as fast as Alice or Esme, but I found myself buzzing with pleasure as her soft nails raked against my scalp every so often. Time always moved so fast for me; as an immortal, the abundance of my life stretched out farther than I could see, and I never felt pressured to do anything other than exactly what I felt like in the moment. With Marley, I found myself wanting to give her every human experience possible before she inevitably became one of us, which meant that time came to mean something in its passing again.

"You should come up with a bucket list," Emmett was suggesting. Normally, I would have found the idea a little bit juvenile, but I tried to imagine being just shy of 18 and being told that I was tied to immortality by a bond so undeniable that fighting it was futile.

"That's a good idea," I chimed in as she tied off the braid. Her celestial nose wrinkled in distaste. The constellation of her freckles drew me in, and I couldn't help but lean forward to kiss across her cheeks. How had I not found females sexually attractive before? Her soft, curvaceous body and sweet-smelling skin appealed to me so immensely.

"Only if you agree to change me after graduation." We had been going back and forth on this all morning. Emmett, of course, thought it was a fantastic idea. I was more reluctant. Marley had not yet seen all of the pros and cons vampirism had to offer; if I could persuade her to extend her mortality for even a moment, I would.

"Let us speak to Carlisle about how to best proceed. We have to figure out the best way for the family to remain inconspicuous. If he is amicable to the thought of turning you after graduation, then I promise you, we will change you if that is what you desire." She squealed in delight and planted her warm lips firmly on mine. Feeling her soft skin yield to me, the candied taste of her tongue snaking around my own...if she wasn't so damn human, I would have bitten her to seal the bond a million times already.
"Speaking of graduation, Esme will in fact skin us if we don't get you to school on time."

"I can't believe I only managed to sleep for four hours. Too excited, I guess." The clock on the wall read 8:30. The fact that Forks High started at 9:00 felt like a blessing on this rainy Wednesday morning.

"Come on, I'm sure Alice has something you can wear." On cue, our door swung open and my sister pranced through holding a garment bag.

"I've been saving this for ages," she trilled musically. "You have no idea how hard it was not to tell people about your impending arrival." Marley laughed and took the bag, giving Alice a hug. At only about 5'4", she still hovered over Alice's miniscule 4'11", and their height side-by-side was almost comical.

"I appreciate it, Allie." She was already so comfortable with us. I wondered if there was truly something in her that made her destined for vampire life, or if it was the security of the Mating bond that put her so deeply at ease. As she left to go change in the bathroom, much to my and Emmett's disappointment, Alice turned to give us a knowing smile.

"Are you angry at me for not warning you?"

"Never. I think I like it better this way. She's full of surprises," Emmett answered. He slipped on a clean long-sleeve shirt. I had already dressed for the day in a casual pair of gray pants and an off-white sweater. It was understated only because I didn't want to draw more attention to my appearance than necessary.
"Am I allowed to say just one teensy little thing?" Alice rocked back on her heels a little bit and laced her hands together in a silent plea.

"Okay. Just one." I watched her sigh in relief and wondered what the outcome would have been had I said no.

"Today, when Marley shows you her house, do not ask her to move in with us." That wasn't what I expected. I gave Alice a small frown.