Chapter 7

Marley

Totally and utterly blissed out, I stretched out my body to find the bed empty. The room was dark, curtains shut, and I blinked rapidly to clear the floating specks from my vision. My phone was by my head.

Rose: You looked too peaceful to wake. Your dad's home. Message us when you wake up.

Em: I left u a present on your desk <3

I sat upright with a sleepy smile. They had covered me up in the soft comforter and pulled Emmett's tee-shirt over my head. Standing up, I found that my thighs were a little sore from spreading them for the pair, and my nipples ached sweetly. With a yawn, I turned on the light. On my desk there was a glass of water and what looked to be one of Esme's muffins, meaning that they would have had to run home and back to leave it. On a piece of blank paper, there was a crudely drawn heart.

Marley: Good morning my vampires.

Em: morning cutie :)

Rose: It's 9:00 pm, you should still be asleep.

Marley: If you hadn't sexed me into an afternoon coma, then perhaps my sleep schedule wouldn't be so erratic.

I sat at my desk chair and bit into the chocolate chip muffin with reverence. Vampire or not, Esme could cook.

Em: I'll sex u into a coma anytime, all the time.

Rose: I second that.

Gulping down some water, smiling, I stood to put on a pair of tattered sweatpants and made my way downstairs. The living room light was on.

"Dad?" I called out. My father lounged on the sofa, which dipped to the middle no matter where you sat, and was watching a sitcom rerun.

"Oh hey, kiddo. Come sit with me." He moved to make some room. There was a glass of amber-colored liquid in his hand. I suspected that it was whiskey. Still, I sat down beside him, our arms touching as the couch inevitably bent beneath our weight.

"Where were you when I got home today?" I asked, fiddling with my phone. It vibrated but I didn't check the screen.

"Fishing. My buddy Charlie and Dan's friend Billy, from the reservation. Do you remember them?" Vaguely. I shook my head. "Charlie's the police chief. Got a girl close to your age coming down to stay with him soon, kinda like how you did. Billy's in a wheelchair. Anyway, they took me and Dan fishing on Billy's boat. Got some nice trout in the freezer." I glanced over at him, at the deep hollows under his eyes, and frowned a little. Another vibration from my lap.

"Does that mean you aren't going to sleep before your shift tonight?"

"I traded with Darla. Nice lady. I'm gonna work a double tomorrow but I get a full night's rest tonight." He took a swig from his cup, the liquid sloshing as his hands shook.

"Oh, good." Silence. A laugh track played for the sitcom. "I think I might go stay over at a friend's tonight," I decided, suddenly unable to stand the thought of watching my dad drink.

"The Cullen kids?" he asked, downing the rest of his cup. His words had a distinct slur to them.

"Yeah."

"Do you want the truck? I could walk to work tomorrow." It was a tempting offer, especially considering that it would keep him off the road. But then I thought of the rain, and how his old coat had holes in the back, and sighed.

"Thanks dad, but I'm good. They can come get me." I rocked to my feet and took a moment to look at him, at his sweat-sheened, ghostly skin and the crooked bridge of his nose. He'd been punched in the face cheating at poker, he had told me ages ago, and the break never set right.