Chapter 12 : Distrust

Ms Deputy Mianmian was shocked getting a call from an unknown number at this late night. But before she could answer it, the call cut off. She searched and found that the number belongs to Xiao Zhan.

Strange!

She tried to call Xiao Zhan back but found his phone switched off, her call got disconnected.

No! Something must have happened to Xiao Zhan.

She took her car keys and drove off. She pressed on the accelerator, she must hurry up. She didn't want to let the tragedy hit again for the fifth time. She wouldn't let another person die, moreover that person was Xiao Zhan who was none other than his friend's boyfriend. She sped up.

Reaching at Xiao Zhan's house, she hopped down from her car and ran to his door.

"Xiao Zhan! Xiao Zhan! Are you okay? Xiao Zhan!" She was banging at the door.

Some silent minutes passed by.
No one opened the door.
Every second was precious. Someone's life was at stake. She couldn't wait anymore. She was going to break the door open, just then the door opened up.

Xiao Zhan's face shown up distressed, he seemed anxious and was shaking lightly.

"Xiao Zhan! What happened? Are you okay?"
She became concerned seeing Xiao Zhan's condition. He wasn't hurt at all but he was tensed.

He replied with his shaky voice "Yes, I'm okay."

"Where is Yibo? Why can't I see him around you?" She peeked at his back but there was none.

Xiao Zhan didn't say anything, he lowered his head.

They fought!
She understood.

After Yibo caught him calling Mianmian, he made a huge ruckus and then went outside banging the door closed.

"Are you alone right now?" She asked and Xiao Zhan nodded.

"So? Why did you call me? Why did it get disconnected in the middle?" She asked crossarmed.

"It was for...."

...For Yibo.
But somehow he couldn't get that name out of his mouth.

Just a moment of hesitation...
And...

Her phone started to ring. She picked it up.

"What? Another man died?...where?... Ok ok...I understand...I'm going there as soon as possible."
She put her mobile down and turned to Xiao Zhan "Sorry Xiao Zhan, can we postpone our discussion? See...someone has just died, I need to go there."

Xiao Zhan was in a daze. Someone died again? Who?

"Xiao Zhan! Xiao Zhan!"

He got back to his senses, his eyes cleared up.

"Xiao Zhan, I really need to go. You lock the door properly and stay inside, don't come out. And about your thoughts...you can talk about it with Yibo, he'll be able to help you out too. Ok, bye." She hurriedly turned around and proceeded to leave.

No! Wait! I can't tell him!

But Xiao Zhan couldn't voice out his words and Mianmian drove off right in front of his eyes.

But who did die?
Was it the same person Xiao Zhan was suspecting?

He hurried into his house and turned on the news.

"Just a while ago another victim's body was found. It was still warm when it was found, means he hasn't died too long ago. Method of killing was like the first two cases... first a stab in the stomach and then slit throat. The stuck paper note with bloody number '5' was also on his forehead. This makes him the fifth victim of this Serial Killer. The victim was 35yrs old, named Meng Yao..."